D&D (2024) Weapon and Armor categories and training in them. Do we still need them?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Funny how that never goes the other way. My fighter is trained in arcana, why cant they cast spells again?

Really fighter types should get at will weapon attacks and defensive reaction maneuvers to differentiate their level of training beyond "able to wear/wield without penalty" but sadly that was deemed too complicated for our dumb fighter player brains.
Is it even possible for you to comment on this topic without insulting other people? I ask, because you've been doing it for years. It gets old.

Horwath

Legend
If all classes have all weapons and armor, the only difference will be feats for melee and spells for casters. I think that becomes boring very fast.
Well, difference is in larger HD, extra attack(s), fighting styles, attack riders, choice of feats, investment in STR/DEX.

And it will cut down on the cheese: 1st level fighter, then wizard X

Horwath

Legend
I'm hoping for them to make a return in later editions with weapon choice mattering to how your character fights.
that is now tied to feats mostly.

crusher/piercer/slasher/GWM/PAM/SS/CE/defensive duelist determine how you fight.
add a fighting style for good measure and you have your 5E description how you fight.

And it will cut down on the cheese: 1st level fighter, then wizard X
that's not "cutting down on the cheese" - it's giving up entirely and just integrating the cheese directly into the core rules. which, i mean, if you don't care about that then ok, but that is what it is.

and honestly i think you could get away with doing the exact opposite (if you wanted to change this at all) - split weapons into categories based on what they are instead of the level of training needed to use them (e.g. swords, axes, polearms (edit - actually maybe spears instead, and make 'polearm' a property that triggers feats like polearm master? or maybe just classify 'polearms' as a weapon of any category that has reach? either i think would be more useful then a polearm category since, for example, poleaxes are both polearms and axes), hammers, picks, bows, crossbows, etc.), maybe add a "simple" trait for weapons any character can use proficiently (like clubs), and then give classes proficiencies based on that (e.g. rogues get swords and short weapons, bards only get swords, barbarians get axes, hammers, and swords, rangers get swords, bows, and crossbows, fighters pick any 3 or 4 categories, etc.). makes it easier to assign proficiencies to classes and gives each class more character in what weapon proficiencies they get since it's more specific. of course, that doesn't matter if the weapons are as samey as they are in 5e anyway, but that's another (and i think the actual) issue. also,
yeah you could make 4 basic attacks like cantrips and let them choose 2... then you can have 4 sr/encounter ones and let them choose 1 and a daily ability too... and every few levels they can get more sr/encounter or more dailies...
4th Edition strikes again!

Last edited:

If anything, I want more weapon and armor categories. And required proficiency to match them.

Gimme modified crit ranges and crit effects, weapon bonuses to trip/disarm/defend, and exotic weapons. Gimme armor that can provide bonuses to stability, movement, or combat that's based on skill instead of magic. Maybe even build in synergies between weapons, shields and armors. And always, always, make there be a cost to use them.

Vaalingrade

Legend
If anything, I want more weapon and armor categories. And required proficiency to match them.

Gimme modified crit ranges and crit effects, weapon bonuses to trip/disarm/defend, and exotic weapons. Gimme armor that can provide bonuses to stability, movement,
Preach it.
or combat that's based on skill instead of magic.
Not sure what this would look like.
Maybe even build in synergies between weapons, shields and armors.
Hadn't considered this. Please elaborate.
And always, always, make there be a cost to use them.
Er... not sure if want.

I have no horse in the race, but I will point out that it would be a great opportunity to finally kill "studded leather armor," which was never a thing. Add in what they thought they were describing under its proper name and give it the appropriate attributes. :p
I would rather "reenforced leather jacket" take it's spot... if we are making things up we need to make it cooler

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases