D&D 5E Weapons: Nunchuku

Revan79

First Post
I am currently a level 8 monk who is going to be multi classing into BLOOD HUNTER when I next level up.
I want to make/Have made and set of Nunchuku of Disruption as it's themed but I'm unsure if Nunchuku would be classed as Two- weapon fighting, Versatile 2-handed weapon etc etc.

If somebody knows could you be so kind as to clarify this for me please.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
DMG suggests nunchaku = flail, so 1d8 bludgeoning as a martial weapon. I can see the comparison (they're derived from basically the same agricultural tool), and this might work for a full-on wuxia setting, though I confess the idea of a nunchaku and a shield is a little odd to me in a way that a flail and a shield isn't...

I might be tempted to go nunchaku = club, so 1d4 bludgeoning as a light simple weapon. This would allow you to use two nunchaku at once (they're light), and would also allow a monk using nunchaku to use their martial arts abilities with them (it's a simple weapon that isn't heavy or two-handed).

The book suggests that a club with a joint or flexible middle is still a club. That fits in quite well with the stats, and regarding who can use it, so I'd suggest sticking with club.

MindxKiller

Explorer
Yeah, the last bit of the Martial Arts ability in the PHB mentions that nunchaku = club, kama = sickle, and any other monk weapon you can think of can be made using the statistics for weapons in chapter 5

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Also note that you have the option to use your Monk damage for your weapon in place of its own damage, so your 1d4 blunt nunchucks will functionally do 1d6 or 1d8 (depending on the Monk chart - I can't recall which) blunt... exactly the same as your fist, mechanically.

You can hold one in each hand all you want - you still only get one swing plus your bonus kickenpunch (which, again, mechanically, is effectively the same as kickenpunch twice, or once with each weapon with all of the relevant feats etc to make you good at it).

Azurewraith

Explorer
I think the basics are covered unless you want to get fancy which just a word of warning 5e wont handle well. Would be to make it a 1d4 bludgeon weapon that allows you to use your bonus action to make a 2nd attack or to be able to trip/disarm an opponent.

Illithidbix

Explorer
Oddly it's mentioned twice in the core rules.

The Monk section of the PHB (page.78) suggests the nunchaku is a reflavoured club.
The Wuxia section of the DMG (page.41) lists the nunchaku is a alternative name for a flail.

From the monk class.
Certain monasteries use specialized forms o f the
monk weapons. For example, you might use a club
that is two lengths of wood connected by a short chain
(called a nunchaku) or a sickle with a shorter, straighter
blade (called a kama). Whatever name you use for a
monk weapon, you can use the game statistics provided
for the weapon in chapter 5.
Chucks are a club, use the club stats.

Remove ads