D&D 5E Weapons You Miss

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
5e is great, don't get me wrong. In simplifying things, though, the weapon list was reduced significantly from earlier editions. Some of the weapons (like broadswords, many polearms, dire flails, etc.) were deservedly put on the chopping block, but there are others that are missed.

So, my EN Fam, what weapons from earlier editions that aren't in 5e do you miss the most?

For me, it's garrotes, scythes, long spears, whip-daggers, bolas, chakram, repeating crossbows, and specialty arrows (sheaf, flight, et al.).

Undrave

Legend
Spiked Gauntlets would be fun! So you could do a non-monk brawler type and still have chances at a magic item.

I'm surprised we haven't seen dual-ended weapons as an official thing, i.e. weapon that can inflict two different types of damages. It's not a big deal mechanically but it would be cool.

For exemple, a weapon with both a hammer head for bludgeoning and one side with a piercing head.

I could see a kusarigama the has one end for slashing and one end (with reach) for bludgeoning.

These types of weapons wouldn't fit the PHB for sure, but they're the kind of stuff that should have been added by now... no?

The Lucerne Hammer/Bec de Corbin/Pollaxe - a weapon designed as a can opener, and in D&D terms its "thing" would be that it could pick damage types dep. Also the dwarf "urgrosh" which in real life was a pollaxe with a butt-spike, and real world techniques also made use of that (meaning it was a rare example of a double weapon)
1625515266497.png

Pick your damage type?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Garrotes don’t need to be weapons IMO. Just make them equipment that you can use to make a grappled creature unable to breathe or speak while it’s grappled.

I miss long spears and composite bows. Fortunately, they’re pretty easy to add. Composite bows can just cost more and have Finesse, and long spears can just be simple, 1d8 piercing, two-handed, reach.

Charlaquin

The Lucerne Hammer/Bec de Corbin/Pollaxe - a weapon designed as a can opener, and in D&D terms its "thing" would be that it could pick damage types dep. Also the dwarf "urgrosh" which in real life was a pollaxe with a butt-spike, and real world techniques also made use of that (meaning it was a rare example of a double weapon)
View attachment 139826
Pick your damage type?
I wouldn’t lump Pollaxe in with Bec de Corbin and Lucerne Hammer. I mean, sure it’s a polearm with a pokey bit, a hookey bit, and a smashey bit, but its design is distinct enough from the more hammer-and-pick-like designs of the other two.

Charlaquin

Aren't long spears just using the name "pike" in 5e. (Simple reach not being long enough to be a real pike).
Well, yes, but they’re martial. What I really want out of a “long spear” by whatever name is a simple reach weapon. And preferably not heavy.

I actually think the “lance” makes a really good pike, and I’m fine with the real long pokey polearm used by infantry and the one used by cavalry sharing the same name and entry on the weapons table.

Remove ads