• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weapons You Miss

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
5e is great, don't get me wrong. In simplifying things, though, the weapon list was reduced significantly from earlier editions. Some of the weapons (like broadswords, many polearms, dire flails, etc.) were deservedly put on the chopping block, but there are others that are missed.

So, my EN Fam, what weapons from earlier editions that aren't in 5e do you miss the most?

For me, it's garrotes, scythes, long spears, whip-daggers, bolas, chakram, repeating crossbows, and specialty arrows (sheaf, flight, et al.).

The Lucerne Hammer/Bec de Corbin/Pollaxe - a weapon designed as a can opener, and in D&D terms its "thing" would be that it could pick damage types dep. Also the dwarf "urgrosh" which in real life was a pollaxe with a butt-spike, and real world techniques also made use of that (meaning it was a rare example of a double weapon)
1625515266497.png

Pick your damage type?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Aren't long spears just using the name "pike" in 5e. (Simple reach not being long enough to be a real pike).
Well, yes, but they’re martial. What I really want out of a “long spear” by whatever name is a simple reach weapon. And preferably not heavy.

I actually think the “lance” makes a really good pike, and I’m fine with the real long pokey polearm used by infantry and the one used by cavalry sharing the same name and entry on the weapons table.

Messing with AC numbers is just a pain. It's not the way to skin this rabbit.

You need to do it by armour and weapon properties.

One way would be to add certain properties and have some weapons ignore them.

For example:

Medium armour has resistance against single handed slashing and piercing weapons (finally a reason for a versatile weapon).

Heavy Armour has Resistance against Slashing and Piercing, but not Bludgeoning damage.

Piercing weapons ignore resistance on a critical hit or when an attack is made with advantage.

Increase the damage of all Slashing weapons by one die type.
The problem with that sort of thing is that then you have to add an armour type to every monster. And not all of them fit neatly into those categories.

Remove ads