Weird weapon weights - has this been updated?

Horwath

Legend
While the weights seem to be in the ballpark, I could see adding a restriction for bulk if you don't want your PCs looking like this guy.

View attachment 103617

While it is stupid, it can be done:

crazy-ivan.jpg

:D

Oofta

Legend
I certainly don't want my PC looking like that.

He's gnot gnomish enough, and gneither are the weapons.

I am seeing just all sorts of confusing posts this week. First, that Barnes & Nobles physical stores still exist and now what seems to be an assertion that a gnome could have too many weapons?

What kind of crazy upside down statement is that?

Satyrn

First Post
I am seeing just all sorts of confusing posts this week. First, that Barnes & Nobles physical stores still exist and now what seems to be an assertion that a gnome could have too many weapons?

What kind of crazy upside down statement is that?

No, you misunderstand me. It's not that he has too many weapons. He just has too many weapons that don't look like they're about to explode.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
It is funny to me how people take old 1e rules quirks and treat them as reflecting reality more than well-documented history. There really aren't 15 pound 2-handed swords and 10 pound morning stars out there that were actually used, but a number of people who started on old D&D think the actual weights are too light. If you try to fight a swordsman with a dagger he's always going to have initiative because of his reach and you will be reacting and looking for occasional opportunities to strike with a dagger, but because 1e gave him extra attacks and 2e gave him an initiative bonus some people think the dagger wielder should strike first or more often.

Last edited:

lluewhyn

Explorer
It is funny to me how people take old 1e rules quirks and treat them as reflecting reality more than well-documented history. There really aren't 15 pound 2-handed swords and 10 pound morning stars out there that were actually used, but a number of people who started on old D&D think the actual weights are too light. If you try to fight a swordsman with a dagger he's always going to have initiative because of his reach and you will be reacting and looking for occasional opportunities to strike with a dagger, but because 1e gave him extra attacks and 2e gave him an initiative bonus some people think the dagger wielder should strike first or more often.

I always thought this was wonky with 2E, and liked how Runequest did it, with inverting the way D&D did it. Yeah, you probably can swing that dagger a heck of a lot faster than that guy who's got a Halbard, but he's still going to get a first shot at you.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I always thought this was wonky with 2E, and liked how Runequest did it, with inverting the way D&D did it. Yeah, you probably can swing that dagger a heck of a lot faster than that guy who's got a Halbard, but he's still going to get a first shot at you.

1e was even weirder, BTW. A guy swinging a dagger actually could swing TWICE AS FAST against an opponent carrying a fairly heavy weapon as he could against an unarmed or dagger-wielding opponent, and three times as fast against someone carrying an awl pike (the only weapon that speed factor ever gives three attacks against). The idea that you can get in more hits with a dagger if I'm fighting you with a two-handed sword than if I'm unarmed is really bizarre, and it's even more bizarre when you realize that the dagger gets two attacks against a footman's mace or a battle axe but not against a horseman's mace or any sword smaller than two handed.

But don't take my word for it, take the word of the man who came up with the idea: "Forget weapon speed factors! I must have been under the influence of a hex when I included them in the bloody rules." - Gary Gygax

Remove ads