D&D General Welcome Thread

Praetorus

First Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a 46 year old gamer from Sweden. I've been playing since 1984 (mostly Swedish role-playing games) and mostly within the "paper and dice"-variety.
I usually function as a Game Master, but i enjoy playing as well. Many bizarre worlds have passed through my fingers...

Flareanthia

First Post
Oh my gosh, [MENTION=6871858]Praetorus[/MENTION] That is sooo cool!! :D I'll bet you know a lot of these games inside and out, huh? X3 I am only just getting started :3

Hey dudes!
I'm Flare, 25, from Cyprus (don't worry if you don't know where that is, heh XP ) and I have only just started playing pen and paper board games this year! D:

I have only just gotten started, and plunged right into GMing, after being very swiftly kicked out of a game by a freshey game master. :eek:

I looked for this site, because I want to be better as a Game Master. The game of choice here is D&D 5e, just because it is the only version I have tried so far and I'm trying hard to get to grips with it. So, any advice for a new GM from you guys way more experienced? Or a page on this forum that I ought to check out? The guys I am playing with are great, never complaining when I make a mistake but rather, gently inform me of a rule I don't know so that I can keep it in mind for the future, and I make a lot of mistakes dudes! XD

I really enjoy the game I'm in! I think it is super fun, and working together with the players to create an awesome adventure is just, the best! I keep in mind that the players are the heroes of the story, that the GM is NOT just out to kill the players (or that's the case in my game format anyways), and have informed my players that they are more than welcome to NOT follow the most obvious path laid before them. But eh, I want to get better. So far the hardest thing for me has been to keep in mind all the various game rules! X/ It is a LOT to take in when it's the very first time I'm playing you know.... :/

I hope that I'll be able to make good use of this forum! :D Be able to get, a little better at the game I'm trying to run at present, and perhaps find an online (or local!) game that I can join into as a player. I would very much like to take part in a game as a player also. :3

DAD DND

First Post
Hello, gang...

My name is Dan and I'm putting together a little project called DAD DND - a true fantasy league for fathers.

I'm a forty-nine year old father of a one year old daughter. I first began playing Dungeons & Dragons over forty years ago. Playing DnD (or D&D) and other role-playing games were a big part of my life for the following two decades. Over the last twenty years, while I have played here and there, I haven't been able to sneak my teeth into a good ol' regular DnD game for awhile now. And with being a dad now, my time is even more limited. My DnD experiences are now lived vicariously through others on various Dungeons & Dragons game podcasts. Having co-hosted a podcast for over a year and a half now (Starmageddon - a podcast for fans of Star Trek AND Star Wars) I figured why not get together four or five other dads that are itching to play, utilize an online virtual tabletop, record the shenanigans, and produce a podcast called DAD DND? So... That's what I plan to do.

Praetorus

First Post
Hello Flare,

Thanks for your response! As to me knowing the games inside and out: well... I know MOST of the rules inside and out. To counter the parts I do not know or like, I tend to use the number one rule of role-playing:
§1: The GM is always right. If the GM's rules isn't in accordance with the rule book: then the book is wrong! The GM decides which rules to use, and which not to use.

Of course, it's best to have the purpose of the game clear (to let the players have an internal roller coaster, with suspense, drama, action and adventure, while having fun yourself) so that you don't make the gaming experience dull or hostile. But the number one rule tends to cut short all those boring rule discussions, which can ensue when that rule isn't enforced well enough.
Of course -every GM is absolute in their power. One rule that you might like and use, another will choose to ignore or abolish. And that's part of the fun! :)

In short: don't be afraid of not knowing the rules! The rules are only there to provide stability and predictability (which often is good). The important part of being a GM is to have a clear view of what will happen, and to organise it well enough, so that all the players feel that they can bring their characters to life and do them justice.

Flareanthia

First Post
Hahah! I think I am going to like this rule a LOT! XD

Heheh, coolio, hey thanks for responding! I will try to learn all the rules I feel I need then and fluff the rest accordingly, so long as I'm careful to be being fair :3
[MENTION=6871982]Shiminax[/MENTION] heloooo! We shall do our best to be clear in return ;D

L R Ballard

Explorer
I've been a member of EN World since 2006, but I wrote my first two posts today. I've neither run nor played in a session since D&D 3.5. Recently, I've been reading up on what a big hit 5e is, so I figured I'd stop in to learn more about it. I'm also delighted to see the deal Wizards of the Coast has made (Dungeon Masters Guild) regarding Forgotten Realms IP, and I'm intrigued by the success of Kickstarters for OGL mods. I'm wondering how some of those Kickstarters do so well. Mostly, I'm here to read up on stuff--happy to learn that 5e hearkens to the storied days of old.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been a member of EN World since 2006, but I wrote my first two posts today. I've neither run nor played in a session since D&D 3.5. Recently, I've been reading up on what a big hit 5e is, so I figured I'd stop in to learn more about it. I'm also delighted to see the deal Wizards of the Coast has made (Dungeon Masters Guild) regarding Forgotten Realms IP, and I'm intrigued by the success of Kickstarters for OGL mods. I'm wondering how some of those Kickstarters do so well. Mostly, I'm here to read up on stuff--happy to learn that 5e hearkens to the storied days of old.

I think you're winning at lurking.

Remove ads