D&D 5E Werewolves/rats and damage immunity

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Get familiar with the grapple rules; if I played a fighter in this situation, grappling would probably be my first option.

S'mon

Legend
If they want to solve the problem with their swords and fists instead of their heads, they will get what they deserve. And don't let them try this hokey 'Imma gunna strangle it to death' tripe either. If the creature is immune to normal non-silvered weapons, then it's sure as heck is immune to hands.

I take it you're not a fan of Anglo-Saxon epic literature, then. Or you just hate outside the
box thinking?

Have a couple of silver goblets or trays getting dusty in a pantry / kitchen that they come across while exploring and then they have an improvised weapon to hand that can be thrown to finish the beastie off, if they twig that they need something silvered to kill it

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
These are all helpful thoughts.

A session or two before, the heroes will (likely) be at a masquerade party. I'm preparing a little logic puzzle of types, where heroes have to deduce who's behind what mask, and what information they hold. There will be lots of red herrings in this, but I like the idea of having some information regarding silver drop into their minds there. Even something as simple as "Can you believe they have real silver knives here? So extravagant!" might be enough to tip some of my experienced players. And at the very least, I'll give them the opportunity to snag a few forks and knives to sell later. It'll be up to them, but if they pick up on a few hints that silver is important/valuable, then they can later be rewarded.

I do like the idea not allowing all of them their normal damage-dealing abilities however. A spell here and there, a single silver knife (not even a dagger perhaps) and some creative thinking!

Trit

Mirtek

Hero
Imho immunity to anything but silver is a misstake that slipped through from an earlier version of rules when it was more comon.

Who has flat out immunity in final 5e: golems, lynthropes and deities

Why should a lowly wererat be as resistant to a axe blow as Tiamat?

It should be Regeneration and resistance but not immunity.

Same for golems. Frankensteins monster could be hurt by pitchforks

Last edited:

SheckyS

First Post
Here's something I did many years ago which I thought was kinda fun.

I started a campaign in a small silver-mining town. In the town square was a big statue of a town hero holding a large silver pick. I introduced this setting and came back to it several times so the players would remember it.

Then, later on, when they came up against a wererat the encounter took place in (or very near) the town square. It took the players a few rounds to figure out they couldn't hurt the wererat and another few rounds for someone to remember the statue was there.

Then one of the fighters had to try to rip the silver pick out of the statue's hand (he happened to roll a series of low numbers and failed multiple times, which was very unfortunate). But once he did, he had an improvised weapon that could hurt the rat and it worked out really well. Really gave the players a sense of accomplishment.

You have to set it up ahead of time, though. Introduce the statue early and mention it a few times and make sure the players know about it, because sometimes they tend to zone out when you describe scenery. :)

Galendril

Explorer
I take it you're not a fan of Anglo-Saxon epic literature, then. Or you just hate outside the
box thinking?

Well, the game isn't called Anglo-Saxon Epic Literature & Dragons. The game has a set of rules and it cannot accommodate every type of literature out there.

And if strangling a creature is your idea of creativity, then you have a very low bar for imaginative problem solving.

S'mon

Legend
Well, the game isn't called Anglo-Saxon Epic Literature & Dragons. The game has a set of rules and it cannot accommodate every type of literature out there.

And if strangling a creature is your idea of creativity, then you have a very low bar for imaginative problem solving.

You're no fun.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I don't see why strangulation couldn't work, given the right circumstances. A good strong noose and the inability of the wererat to get at said noose will do the trick in my view. It won't be easy to pull off and it won't be as fast or sure as a pile of silvered weapons, but if the players can manage to set it up to happen, then good for them.

Remove ads