D&D 5E Whack-a-mole gaming or being healed from 0 hp

CapnZapp

Legend
Many of you have observed that a simple Healing Word is all that is needed to "save" a downed ally's set of actions - even at 1 hp, that ally performs at full capacity.

How big of an issue has the fact that being downed in combat mostly means going prone (perhaps the lightest penalty in the entire game) been for you in practical play?

If a problem, what did you do about it?

I see several possible solutions that try not to be too complicated, while still making it significantly more unappealing to be downed in combat:

a) Your "strike count" from failed death saves isn't reset just because you're back at >0 hp.

b) Add a penalty condition such as "dazed" or "disorientated" (aiming for a Poisoned-like effect) to downed characters given small healing. Once you're healed to, say, 10 hp or more, this condition goes away.

c) add a level of exhaustion when downed (too severe for my preference)

d) add back negative hp to the game, making tiny heals considerably less effective. (Note: this option does not necessarily mean there needs to be a rule for dying at minus X hp)

e) <add your suggestion here>

-

Many of you have observed that a simple Healing Word is all that is needed to "save" a downed ally's set of actions - even at 1 hp, that ally performs at full capacity.

How big of an issue has the fact that being downed in combat mostly means going prone (perhaps the lightest penalty in the entire game) been for you in practical play?

If a problem, what did you do about it?

I see several possible solutions that try not to be too complicated, while still making it significantly more unappealing to be downed in combat:

a) Your "strike count" from failed death saves isn't reset just because you're back at >0 hp.

b) Add a penalty condition such as "dazed" or "disorientated" (aiming for a Poisoned-like effect) to downed characters given small healing. Once you're healed to, say, 10 hp or more, this condition goes away.

d) add back negative hp to the game, making tiny heals considerably less effective. (Note: this option does not necessarily mean there needs to be a rule for dying at minus X hp)

e) <add your suggestion here>

-

I think I'll like (a) and (b) if it becomes an issue. Except... looking at the conditions, "dazed" isn't on there and straight-up "poisoned" is the only one that really comes close, but it doesn't really fit, does it? What about (c), a level of exhaustion, except it goes away after a short rest?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
In my home game I use a variant Lingering Injuries rule where you roll a HD everytime you drop to 0 and reduce your Maximum HP by that amount (on a 1 roll on the chart).

It's like the Life Drain mechanic but isn't auto-restored on a short rest.

At AL it is whack-a-mole.

Paraxis

Explorer
My "e" would be: gain a level of exhaustion when you gain your first failed death save.

This gives the healer a chance to hopefully bring you back without the penalty, it puts the roll into the hands of the downed player, but it isn't as severe as gaining a level of exhaustion when you go to 0 h.p.

Baumi

Adventurer
I dislike in-combat healing more and more in the last years and 5E is not even the worst offender here. So I fully understand your frustration!

-) You could use the optional "Injury" Rules from the DMG (page 272). So they fear becoming reduced to 0 HP again and start either receiving Healing far earlier or even try to flee from time to time.

-) If you get to 0 you are out of combat, even if you get healed. Healing will still stabilize the patient and give HPs, but the target is to confused and exhausted to do anything actively for a minute or two. This makes you able to disable a PC without lasting effects.

delericho

Legend

It's worth noting that at 0hp you drop prone and also drop any items you're holding. If it bothers you, you could certainly rule that the character can only pick up either his sword or his shield as part of his free "manipulate an item" action.

These would be my preference. Though I'm inclined to agree with Paraxis and only apply it when the first Death Save is failed.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I have yet to see a character drop to 0 in5e :( my GM is a light weight ill let you know how i deal with the issue when im in charge as well i like to kill characters, or rather put them in a position where they need to run away as well knowing you can kill everything in front of you is no fun at all.

I would be tempted to either make the failed death saves stick around untill a long rest and because i like gritty games have each death save add a -2 to the PCs stats for as long as the failed save is around(could be a bit harsh but id imagine if some guy just managed to beat you to the point your bleeding out on the floor your going to feel it for a while)

brokadocious

First Post
I personally like option C. I aslo started using the optional healing rules from the DMG (the one where you only get HP back by spending HD) in my last campaign to achieve a grittier feel.

the Jester

Legend
If it's a problem, have the monsters target the healers once the first guy pops back up. Alternatively, have them finish off the pcs who are down with ruthless efficiency. Or maybe something in between ruthless efficiency and the "but that's mean to the pcs!" approach many DMs take.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In my 4E Far Realm incursion Firestorm Peak campaign I ran, I did both that death saves did not reset until you took a long rest, and that Max HP went down to 3/4ths, 1/2, and 1/4th based upon dropping to 0 HP and then each failed death save (so dropping to 0 HP the first time reduced your Max HP to 3/4th, first failed Death save dropped Max HP to 1/2, 2nd failed to 1/4th. 3rd failed you died, obviously.)

I've not yet instituted any adjustments to the 0HP / death save rules from the norm in my current 5E campaign... but definitely think I will do so in my next one. Probably adding the "levels of Exhaustion" mechanic to PCs who drop to 0 or fail death saves.

All this being said... the reason why the whack-a-mole problem has never really been an issue for me personally is because I've never treated 0 HP as *actual* "unconsciousness". The PCs never actually black out. Instead, while they still get all the penalties of the Unconscious condition when they hit 0 HP (falling "prone", dropping items, no actions etc.)... I always treat the narrative as the PC just having gotten his bell rung or gone out of breath so badly that for the next 6 seconds they just can't do anything-- they're stunned, they're down to one knee, they're dazed and confused. After those 6 seconds (their lost Action for being "unconscious") they occasionally will just snap out of it, shake off the cobwebs, find an inner reserve of energy/strength etc. because they were "stablized" or "healed".

Repetitive, actual "blacking out" every couple of seconds during a fight always struck me personally as kind of silly. So I don't narrate it that way myself.

Remove ads