• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yep, and the idea of commoners freaking out over a Dragonborn is based in the common misconception that medieval Europe had no ethnic diversity north of central Italy, which makes it even more annoying, to me.

Um, people today freak out when they see other people walking along the street wearing weird clothes, green hair and studs in their eyebrows - so I guarantee that they would freak out if they saw a dragon (even a half sized humanoid one) walking along the street.

Especially as we know for fact that Dragons commonly lay waste to your homes and eat your people

TheSword

Legend
There is no problem home brewing systems and special rules for specific campaigns. That’s because you’re doing it for balance reasons to keep playing in a particular setting fun.

I think that sometimes gets forgotten. This is a game and these settings are inspired by and are a pastiche of real world history, fantasy fiction and other media influences. They don’t have to be real, nor should they be if it’s going to spoil your fun.

If you want a resin extract applied to leather shields that makes them as hard as steel then it exists. If you want a fighting style that lets unarmored warriors add their Str to AC then do it. Realism shouldn’t get in the way of fun.

People shouldnt get so hung up on the cultural cues in rpgs. Again to reference Rokugan, the designers didn’t attempt to make a real world analogue, it is a setting influenced by a variety of cultures, mythology and themes. They wanted a fast clan, a sturdy clan, a sneaky clan, a mystical clan, a brave clan etc... so that is what exists. We can recognize that this is different to trying to portray a historically accurate setting of a real world place... though I don’t ever see the big companies doing this because of the copyright issues when protecting their settings.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Um, people today freak out when they see other people walking along the street wearing weird clothes, green hair and studs in their eyebrows - so I guarantee that they would freak out if they saw a dragon (even a half sized humanoid one) walking along the street.

Especially as we know for fact that Dragons commonly lay waste to your homes and eat your people
People who haven’t seen that sort of thing kinda freak out, in that they stare and point and the like. And in most towns, you’re gonna still be welcome at the local diner.

In a world where Dragonborn have a reputation as noble and honorable people, who have nations and towns and families just like you, they’re gonna just be a foreigner.

The idea they’d be somehow mistaken for dragons is pretty dang absurd.

Zardnaar

Legend
People who haven’t seen that sort of thing kinda freak out, in that they stare and point and the like. And in most towns, you’re gonna still be welcome at the local diner.

In a world where Dragonborn have a reputation as noble and honorable people, who have nations and towns and families just like you, they’re gonna just be a foreigner.

The idea they’d be somehow mistaken for dragons is pretty dang absurd.

Look at how humans treat each other irl.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah I was going to cite certain examples of people being attacked for wearing Turbans and families being reported to the police for Barbequing - but that rabbitholes is deep

but perhaps a DM could use the whole Normalising of Dragonborn in society as a in game hook

Oakland comes out to celebrate BBQ'n While Black — Berkeleyside

Yeah that as to. Few areas in Russia as well are no go zones as well.

I don't expect a DM to run like that but it makes sense if they do.

We're not a great species.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads