D&D 5E What’s So Great About Medieval Europe?

Okay, but I can't really say how it is in every homebrew game, but the general impression of the game as presented in the books and media that we do share.
Well you can still get ideas from those books and not turn your game into a padtiche provided that you are carefully thinking through what you will actually take and add. And where and how.

Aldarc

Legend
There are several centuries of history that are both medievel and pre-christian when it comes to Scandinavia. Denmark and Norway were primarily converted in 11th and 12th centuries. So you've got everything from the 5th to the 11th century to work with.
Also, it's still Medieval Europe. A particular slice of Medieval Europe? Sure. But still Medieval Europe.

There are several centuries of history that are both medievel and pre-christian when it comes to Scandinavia. Denmark and Norway were primarily converted in 11th and 12th centuries. So you've got everything from the 5th to the 11th century to work with.
True. I like to go back even further though. I like to go back far enough that i have to use a large amount of speculation. That way the myths are structured but still soft and manipulatable. My sweet spot is the period of norse myth when they still have a lot of lingering hallmarks of animism and gods (or godlike entities) that arent very modern in their type. For the record a modern sort of deity is still an extremely ancient one. Greek gods are VERY modern in type for instance.

This also reduces the suffocating effect on variability of legends that organized religions have.

My campaigns are also not for the easily offended for the record. Remember. I said modern sensibilities=out the window.

You say you dont want modern sensibilities. All im going to say is, if you REALLY want that. Make sure you fully consider what that means.

Aldarc

Legend
Nope. See my post previous to this one. I go back far. Quite far.
How far back do you go so that it's not in the Middle Ages? You would have to be pre-500 to not be in the Early Middle Ages.

My campaigns are also not for the easily offended for the record. Remember. I said modern sensibilities=out the window.

You say you dont want modern sensibilities. All im going to say is, if you REALLY want that. Make sure you fully consider what that means.
A lack of modern sensibilities doesn't necessarily mean being grimdark hardkore or whatever either. Also I didn't necessarily say that I don't want modern sensibilities, only that D&D is often a bit of a weird blend of eras.

How far back do you go so that it's not in the Middle Ages? You would have to be pre-500 to not be in the Early Middle Ages.

A lack of modern sensibilities doesn't necessarily mean being grimdark hardkore or whatever either. Also I didn't necessarily say that I don't want modern sensibilities, only that D&D is often a bit of a weird blend of eras.
500 ad is far more recent than where most of my campaign regions/planes operate. So yeah.

Old enough that herms is still a very young god. (Its a deity that is a distant mythological predecessor to hermes, apollo, pan, aphrodite. WAY far back.)

I wasnt saying its grimdark. But modern sensibilities would stick out like a sore thumb is how ill put it. You would at the very least get strange looks or depending on what you did people could react very strongly. So no. Not grimdark. But modern sensibilities are going to confuse the heck out of npcs.

Remove ads