What 3 classes will be in the Arcane power book?

MaelStorm

First Post
Rechan said:
Bet you a dollar the Shaman/Witch/Voodoo, or shaman-like abilities come into play with a Primal Leader, and the Hexblade is the Shadow defender.

The hypothetical spirit source has not been confirmed yet. And yes it could be covered by other sources like primal and arcane.

As others has posted in the 4E forum, there should be only a limited number of different sources. I doubt there could be more than seven viable sources. We will have to wait and see what WotC will publish in their books and their articles. They could stretch to height or nine maximum.

If they come up with ten or twelve different sources x four classes for each sources x different paths and destinies, then the same nightmare scenario from 3E would come to haunt them down. I hope they don't stretch it too much this time.

DreamChaser

Explorer
I'm guessing the Psychic will be in PH2 because it is necessary for Eberron (which we know is converting) and I doubt they're waiting until 2010 to redo Eberron.

DC

nem z

First Post
I'd find this more likely:

PHB I (Arcane, Divine, and Martial)
Martial power
Arcane Power
Divine Power

PHB II (Primal, Shadow, and Psionic)
Primal Power
Shadow Power
Psionic Power

PHB III (hybrid classes, non-mainstream stuff like tech, ki, etc.)
Complete Striker
Complete Leader
Complete Defender
Complete Controller

Khaalis

Adventurer
Here is my prediction.

1st Run Arcane Classes
-- Arcane powers / spells / rituals
1st Run Divine Classes
-- Divine powers / spells / rituals
1st Run Martial Classes
-- Martial powers

Arcane Sourcebook
2nd Run Arcane Classes (e.g. Bard = Arcane Leader; Swordmage = Arcane Defender, etc.)
-- New Arcane powers / spells / rituals
-- New Arcane Paragon Paths / Epic Destinies
-- Arcane Organizations
-- Arcane Strongholds
-- etc.

Divine Sourcebook
2nd Run Divine Classes (e.g. Spirit Shaman, etc.)
-- New Divine powers / spells / rituals
-- New Divine Paragon Paths / Epic Destinies
-- Divine Organizations
-- Churches, Temples, Shrines
-- etc.

Martial Sourcebook
2nd Run Martial Classes (e.g. Monk, etc.),
-- New Martial powers
-- New Arcane Paragon Paths / Epic Destinies
-- Martial Organizations
-- Strongholds, Guildhalls, etc.
-- etc.

Tome of Treasures I
New Arcane, Divine and Martial Magic items.

PHB II (Primal, Psionic, Shadow)
1st Run Primal Classes (Barbarian, Druid, Sorcerer, etc.)
-- Primal powers / spells / rituals
1st Psionic Classes (Ardent, Psychic Warrior, Lurk [or other striker variant], Psion)
-- Psionic powers / spells / rituals
1st Run Shadow Classes (Beguiler, Dread Necormancer, Shadowcaster)
-- Shadow powers / spells / rituals

Primal Sourcebook
2nd Run Primal Classes
-- New Primal powers / spells / rituals
-- New Primal Paragon Paths / Epic Destinies
-- Primal Organizations
-- Primal Places of Powers
-- etc.

Psionic Sourcebook
2nd Run Psionic Classes
-- New Psionic powers / spells / rituals
-- New Psionic Paragon Paths / Epic Destinies
-- Psionic Organizations
-- Psionic Places of Power
-- etc.

Shadow Sourcebook
2nd Run Shadow Classes
-- New Shadow powers / spells / rituals
-- New Shadow Paragon Paths / Epic Destinies
-- Shadow Organizations
-- Shadow Places of Power
-- etc.

Tome of Treasures II
New Primal, Psionic and Shadow Magic items.

tombowings

First Post
nem z said:

Martial power
Arcane Power
Divine Power

Primal Power
Shadow Power
Psionic Power

Complete Striker
Complete Leader
Complete Defender
Complete Controller

I'd put my money on this scenario.

Khuxan

First Post
Khaalis said:
Tome of Treasures I
New Arcane, Divine and Martial Magic items.

Tome of Treasures II
New Primal, Psionic and Shadow Magic items.

I can't see Wizards making Tome of Treasures II exclusive to PH II power sources - otherwise no one playing a PHI class (the majority of people) would buy it.

I also think Wizards will put in more support material for PH I in PH II, for the same reason - they want it be be universally popular.

MaelStorm

First Post
nem z said:

Martial power
Arcane Power
Divine Power

Primal Power
Shadow Power
Psionic Power

Complete Striker
Complete Leader
Complete Defender
Complete Controller

This is even better then I thought.

Plus there will surely be magic items book, eberron campaign settings, etc.

As others have said in other threads, as long as every class as their niche and are supported as official core material its great (if there are new classes in expansion book they should treat it as part of the core, it does sound different than just a supplement), if they can playtest everything to see if their classes are not redundant, its perfect. If they omit to crosscheck their classes, than its a disservice to everyone and have not learned their lessons from the past.

Miles Pilitus

First Post
MaelStorm said:
As others has posted in the 4E forum, there should be only a limited number of different sources. I doubt there could be more than seven viable sources. We will have to wait and see what WotC will publish in their books and their articles. They could stretch to height or nine maximum.

If they come up with ten or twelve different sources x four classes for each sources x different paths and destinies, then the same nightmare scenario from 3E would come to haunt them down. I hope they don't stretch it too much this time.
I'm not entirely sure on this point. I think that there might be certain factors that would be advantageous to have more power sources then less, especially if the DMG or a DMGX gives advice on world building and the suggestion to limit a campaign's available power sources.

I can see a potential setting where there is no arcane power source, but there may be four power sources for the classical Greek elements. I think the different power sources may lead to different ways to design a campaign. My own home brew setting is likely to further sub-divide and fracture arcane while almost removing martial power sources, so the more Ideas there are to glean, the better, I think.

Oh, and in addition: I'm not sure we're going to be seeing shadow as the third power source next year, given that we expect Psi because of Ebberron. I think we're more likely to see the artificer in PHB2.

Last edited:

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Rechan said:
No. I seem to recall Mearls or Perkins (or whoever's developing it) saying that it would be seen soonish after the Core books.

I believe the swordmage will be in the FR campaign setting or Player's Guide.

MaelStorm

First Post
Miles Pilitus said:
I'm not entirely sure on this point. I think that there might be certain factors that would be advantageous to have more power sources then less, especially if the DMG or a DMGX gives advice on world building and the suggestion to limit a campaign's available power sources.

I can see a potential setting where there is no arcane power source, but there may be four power sources for the classical Greek elements. I think the different power sources may lead to different ways to design a campaign. My own home brew setting is likely to further sub-divide and fracture arcane while almost removing martial power sources, so the more Ideas there are to glean, the better, I think.

Oh, and in addition: I'm not sure we're going to be seeing shadow as the third power source next year, given that we expect Psi because of Ebberron. I think we're more likely to see the artificer in PHB2.

True, but the main source for a classical greek setup would be the ether/primordial chaos or primal source in game material, they could come up with subsources further specifying the main sources for different settings by the four classical elements, in your exemple. But these would be only a further specialization of a main power source. These could be included or rejected for different DM's need and could open exploration of different paths to explore in the game, and yes would be great for further defining a world.

As long as there are clean rules about it in the DMG that there are master sources and different ways to exploit it, fine. But you don't need an earth source or a sand source or a metal source these are all primal elements. I see it as level of energies, with the higher energies exploited in different ways. A world could exploit electricity and another could see it as arcane energy only, etc. But their should be strict guidelines on ways to do this and their effects in the game.

Remove ads