• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What 3.X/D20 Material Do You Use With Pathfinder?

DaemonHunter

First Post
What do we still use? Well I allow all the books we have and used before pathfinder, but thats not to say they get used. For the most part my players stick with pathfinder books but will now and again go back to a 3.x book for the odd feat or some such and I'm happy with that.

Greg K

Legend
Yesterday, I was looking through the Pathfinder books and thinking, if I were to run it, I would use many of the same things that I used for 3e including the following:
1. Unearthed Arcana (WOTC)
2. Fewer Absolutes (Sean K Reynolds
3. Cavalier's Handbook (Green Ronin)
4. Shaman's Handbook (Green Ronin)
5. Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin)
6. Witch's Handbook (Green Ronin)
7. Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc)
8. Poisoncraft (Blue Devil Games)
9. Artificer's Handbook (Mystic Eye Games)
10. Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin)
11. Book of Templates (Silverthorne/Goodman Games)
12. Book of Fiends (Green Ronin)
13. Fiendish Codex I (WOTC)
14. Ink and Quill (Dragonwing/Bastion Press)
15. Experts 3.5 (Skirmisher Press)
16 Noble Steeds (Avalanche Press)
17. Hot Pursuit and Hot Pursuit: On Foot (Adamant Entertainment)
18. Behind the Spells (Tricky Owlbear)
Edit: Note the lack of many WOTC titles. I use very few of WOTC's supplements when I run 3e.

Last edited:

TojuXinshu

First Post
In my current campaign, I'm drawing from a number of sources:

Monster books
I've got my own master list of monsters from all of the sourcebooks that I have, including both WotC and 3PP stuff. I've also made notes for particular monsters where I've had specific encounter ideas but not had the opportunity to use them. I'm especially a fan of templates because of their versatility. As a particular call-out, the Tomes of Horror I-III from Necromancer Games, the Monsternomicons from Privateer Press (probably my favourites by way of flavour and mix) and the Advanced Bestiary by Green Ronin for it's versatility.

WotC books
They're all available, with the caveat that similar feats/abilities/classes that have been retooled in Pathfinder trump the 3.x source. I've also outright banned a handful of classes, feats, spells etc.

3rd party publishers
I've got a lot of 3rd party stuff, both in print and PDF. At the very least, they often provide inspiration.
  • Poisoncraft (Blue Devil Games)
  • Book of Iron Might (Malhavoc)
  • Book of Roguish Luck (Malhavoc)
  • Book of Hallowed Might (Malhavoc)
  • Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc)
  • Arcana Evolved (Malhavoc)
  • Requiem for a God (Malhavoc)
  • When the Sky Falls (Malhavoc)
  • Chaositech (Malhavoc)
  • Beyond Countless Doorways (Malhavoc - great book)
  • Iron Kingdoms Character Guide (Privateer Press)
  • Iron Kingdoms World Guide (Privateer Press)
  • Liber Mechanika (Privateer Press)
  • Sunken Empires (Open Design)
  • Book of Drakes (Open Design)
  • Steam and Brass (Open Design)
  • Corsair (Adamant Entertainment)
  • Steam and Steel (ENPublishing)
  • Aerial Adventure Guide: SKy Captain's Handbook (Goodman Games)

Ultimately, I draw from anything that makes sense at the time by way of flavour or by being fit-for-purpose.

Vitulv

First Post
Heroes of Battle and the Miniatures Handbook. I have been converting some monsters from time to time from FF and MM1-V. I have also consulted Lords of Madness, and Libris Mortis for that purpose, too.

I never read the Miniatures Handbook, so out of curiosity; what is in it that you use for Pathfinder?

My main use of 3.X content is monsters, and while monsters appear in many books, I mainly use the Monster Manuals. A couple of sessions ago, for example, I used the Grell from MM2. Right now I'm considering of converting the Redcap from MM3, since it would be so awesome to somehow incorporate those nasty little fey in Kingmaker.

A 3.X book I am likely to keep using is Heroes of Horror, cause... you know, it's awesome.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I never read the Miniatures Handbook, so out of curiosity; what is in it that you use for Pathfinder?

I use it sometimes for the Mass Battles rules in Chapter Six.

A lot of people didn't like the Mass Battles Rules in the Miniatures Handbook. There were a number of reasons for this. Chief among them, a lot of people thought the battles took too long.

I attribute my more positive view of the MHB to differing expectations on how long a battle should take when I first used it. I expected to be spending most of my evening running that fight on the tabletop, with 600 or so hundred minis involved. The rules lead to a battle of about 3-4+ hours or so. I was just fine with this. *shrug*

Others dislike the potential effect the Rules can have on heroic PCs, mainly as the strategic time-scale involved in the rules inhibited spellcasters from utterly pwning the battlefield and the rules could potentially expose a PC to random death, too. (Unlikely, but Dems Da Breaks -- this is WAR).

Even so, while less than ideal, Chapter Six works pretty well for combats of less than 300 (400 max) individual combatants per side. More combatants than that? You should not be using the MHB to run that fight, imo.

Last edited:

enrious

I honestly never used the Mass Battle Rules, but had a blast playing a Marshall. I also played a Battlefield Medic, which I believe was also out of that book.

In fact, I'd looked at using both in Pathfinder, but I understand there are some newer versions that may be more useable.

Ajax1979

First Post
I love Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary.

I used to be a sucker for new monster books. It didn't make sense to pay $30+ for a new book and only use six or seven monsters in it and most of those only once.

I have a stack old issues of Dragon and Dungeon I use every now and then.

Smart

First Post
Since starting Pathfinder in our group, we haven't used any 3.x material at all. It wasn't explicitly banned, but everyone was so excited about the possibilities in the core rulebook (and a few others since then) that no one even asked. I know that in the future there will probably be a Pathfinder Ptolus game - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Remove ads