D&D 5E What a small industry 5e publishing really is, and WOTC are thieves.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Yeah, it was Greenwoods fanfiction crossover playground as a kid. It would be cool if it kept more of that: fun fact, the Gulthmere Forest is straight-up Narnia, and "Noba ion" is simply Aslan.
In Ed's article, "Down-to-Earth Divinity" in Dragon 54, Aslan is listed as a member of the Faerunian pantheon Ed presents, along with Moorcock's four elemental lords and some of his other beast lords. Obviously, the names got changed when TSR published FR.

I strongly suspect that the Forgotten Realms would not have been worth much of anything as an IP but for its use in Dungeons and Dragons. Rather generic fantasy settings (which is what it is, that's what I like about it for the record) are a dime a dozen, and TSR would not have invested heavily in one they didn't own outright when they easily could have just used another of the ones they owned outright (so even some sort of ongoing royalties arrangement was not realistically in the cards).

If Greenwood was an exceptionally talented author or the owner of his own popular rpg, or computer game, or other product in need of a fantasy setting he might have been able to turn a rather bog-standard fantasy setting into something he himself could see more substantial profits off of. But I think in the scenario where he, as the person he is, held on to his IP he would have maybe sold a few obscure fantasy novels.

Meanwhile by selling out Greenwood has gotten a prominence, prestige, and at least some degree of employment over the years. I just don't see the realistic scenario where that particular person held on to that particular IP and it worked out the same or better. I'm sure the rights holders could have been a bit nicer to him over the years, but he's hardly been a victim.

FR isn't generic, it beat out bunch of other popular settings time and again to be top dog.

That... hum.... doesn't make it not generic. Generic doesn't mean bad.
Indeed. It's a setting that everyone feels they can set almost any fantasy story in without having to be overly reverent towards every other fantasy story or bit of lore going on there. That's a good thing for a default RPG setting. But it is value that stems from it being a generic, setting.

Remove ads