D&D 5E What a small industry 5e publishing really is, and WOTC are thieves.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I imagine that university libraries would be a VERY different animal than public libraries. Between the age of the typical patron, the stress level of the typical patron, and, again, the age of the typical patron, I imagine that university libraries have issues that you probably don't generally see in public libraries. :D
I work in (though not actually for) our university's library, and I have to say that our library is used frequently by community members in much the same way that the other local county libraries are. Probably a bit more student sit-ins though.

Kurotowa

Legend
Industries tend to exploit their workers.

My best friend's sister is a multiple Grammy nominated artist. Listening to her talk about how little she's made from her early (and even not so early) recording contracts is chilling.
Especially creative industries where there's a big power disparity and lots of people clamoring to get in. My father's books won awards, and we never lived off his writing proceeds. It was always his side jobs or, later, my mother supporting us.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Just checked my D2D dashboard. Some other apparent library apps that get ebooks into library systems:

Bliblioteca, BorrowBox, Hoopla

I think I've gotten one borrow via Hoopla in all the years I've been on there.

I love Hoopla! it has a surprisingly large number of good movies. And while you can only get them for 2-3 days you can easily get them again. I've never even approached the 10 item limit they impose.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
My sister is a Liberian. Which keep in mind if city owned work that you have to go to school for to do properly.

She makes good money and the hours are flexible. She'll never leave that job.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
a good chunk of Ed Greenwoods market was wrecked by the Spellplague, others got fed up with the poor support in 5e for Realms outside the Swordcoast and moved on, others don't know about dmsguild, and huge part of the rest only read the novels. He's had best selling novels, but WotC just absolutely screw him over market wise and in violation if the original deal with TSR, stopped him from writing novels. It's absolutely disgusting how he's been treated. They are about to release a $100,000,000 movie that could be the first in a series that that could earn them $500,000,000 to billions, and Ed won't see 1 cent of that money.

But Hasbros a corporation, which at this point are just criminal organizations with enough fake legitimacy to get away with pretending they aren't crooks. We're leaving in the Shadowrun universe without the cool parts.

Yeah i stopped reading Faerun novels when they killed off 90% of the main characters. I started reading Drizzt novels again but they have glaring issues now. Can't go home again, I guess.

Woah! That is wild. And to think I got annoyed at people leaving books in the library restrooms!

Wow. That's really mild. I no longer work in a library, but when I was in grad school and worked in a major university library's main administrative offices, I learned a few things that were eyebrow raising. For example, they added a security entrance years before because someone was once attacked in the library with an axe. There was also an individual known as "the Mad <expletive>er". Whoever this was would occasionally poop in a book and put it back on the shelves. Then there was the morning one of the cataloguers, who frequently came in early and was a chain-smoking Vietnam War vet, was found unresponsive near his desk. He survived but was no longer allowed to come in when nobody else was around... so that someone could respond to similar emergencies.
University libraries sure do collect the stories...

For the most part, yes. Having actual security staff present helps, I'm sure.

I wasn't there for the patron that brought a parrot in (on her shoulder, not in a cage or anything), though. My coworker briefly froze, then started repeatedly yelling "get out!"

I imagine that university libraries would be a VERY different animal than public libraries. Between the age of the typical patron, the stress level of the typical patron, and, again, the age of the typical patron, I imagine that university libraries have issues that you probably don't generally see in public libraries. :D

The university I work for uses OverDrive. I've used it a couple of times, though the selection isn't great.

Speaking of digital publishing -- for the librarians on the thread, do your libraries participate in Overdrive or other ebook lending services? I think it's a great idea, but always wondered how much participation is actually on there.

Getting back to Ed Greenwood, I might point out that $5,000 in 1987 dollars is the equivalent to over twice that now. Not going to deny that it should've been a better deal, including royalties, but considering a librarian's average salary in 1987 was under $29,000 (that's stateside, mind you, not Canadian), that was no small chunk of change.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Woah! That is wild. And to think I got annoyed at people leaving books in the library restrooms!

For the most part, yes. Having actual security staff present helps, I'm sure.

I wasn't there for the patron that brought a parrot in (on her shoulder, not in a cage or anything), though. My coworker briefly froze, then started repeatedly yelling "get out!"

The university I work for uses OverDrive. I've used it a couple of times, though the selection isn't great.

Getting back to Ed Greenwood, I might point out that $5,000 in 1987 dollars is the equivalent to over twice that now. Not going to deny that it should've been a better deal, including royalties, but considering a librarian's average salary in 1987 was under $29,000 (that's stateside, mind you, not Canadian), that was no small chunk of change.
And he did get further royalties of some amount for the multitude of books he produced over the next 40 years.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I think the biggest screw job of it is that he should have gotten royalties on every FR product TSR produced and I don't think he did. He did, as @Parmandur says get royalties on his own books, which is great, but he should have gotten a cut of the stuff that wasn't written by him but was set in his world as well IMO.

Remove ads