D&D 5E What a small industry 5e publishing really is, and WOTC are thieves.

I never realized how small this industry is until now. I assumed that huge industry names like "Ed Greenwood" who has written thousands of novels for TSR/Wotc would sell 100,000 copies easy. But its only just today that his Forgotten Realms supplement, Border Kingdoms, after a year, had sold 2,500 copies.

Given that most are sold at $15 and WIZARDS OF THE COAST TAKES 50%. That leaves $18,750 minus art and split with other authors.
He probably made $5,000 minus taxes.

Not surprising he still has to work at a library.

Incredibly sad.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
WotC doesn't take 50%. DMs Guild does, which is a cooperative venture between OBS (DTRPG) and WotC. Whatever WotC's share of that is, it's a lot less than 50% of the product price. DTRPG's usual cut of a product is 35%. Print-on-Demand products complicate that, as individual printing costs have to be factored in.

In comparison, selling a book into retail is usually at 40-50% of the cover price. So it's a better deal than that.

Nobody makes 100K sales of a single product at an OBS site, let alone easily.

I used to work for a small book store. It failed and we had to send unsold books back. Depending on the publisher, we got back 30-48% of the price.

Under standard royalties, an author gets roughly 20 to 30% of the publisher's revenue for a hardcover, 15% for a trade paperback, and 25% for an eBook. So, very roughly, every hardcover release that earns out brings the author something like 25% of all revenue earned by the publisher.

I don't see WotC being worse than other publishers. Note that publishers aren't the only companies that get a piece of the action. Amazon typically gets 15% of the price of a book sold on their website (and it seems to be the same whether it's an ebook or a new hardcover/softcover).

J-H

Hero
The 80/20 principle would suggest that 80% of the revenue is made by 20% of the authors. For publishing, it may be worse and is probably more like 90/10.
50% of the sale price going to the authorial+art team is well above industry standards and is pretty good.
It's a setting book for a niche market, not something huge amounts of people are going to buy.

The "starving artist" and "writer working at 10pm after a day at the main job" are stereotypes for good reasons.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Yeah, I think the issue is that you had unrealistic expectations of the RPG industry.

I think this is danger of bubbles. Of the people on ENWorld, probably a lit know who Ed Greenwood is and might be interested in buying stuff from him. If you ask somebody who doesn't play D&D, or many casual D&D players, they'll have no idea.

RPGs are already a niche. The best selling RPGs sell far less then best selling fantasy fiction.Within that niche only a smaller niche plays/reads about the Forgotten Realms. Within that groups is a smaller niche that shops on DM's Guild.

Remove ads