• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What about a Shapeshifter class?

Would you like a Shapeshifter Class?

• Yes and I like your "Mimic" subclass

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Yes and I like your "Hulk" subclass

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Yes and I like your "Chimera" subclass

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Yes, but I don't like your vision of it.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No, a shapeshifter class is redundant.

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • No, I don't like a shapeshifter class for another reason.

Votes: 23 43.4%

S

Sunseeker

I'd be down, but I would like to see specific shapes spelled out ala spells. No more stat-grabbing. Shapeshift shouldn't be the ability to become any old bear. It should be the ability to become yourself as a bear. Therefore, the forms that a Shapeshifter could take on should be spelled out specifically.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'd be down, but I would like to see specific shapes spelled out ala spells. No more stat-grabbing. Shapeshift shouldn't be the ability to become any old bear. It should be the ability to become yourself as a bear. Therefore, the forms that a Shapeshifter could take on should be spelled out specifically.

You mean no "+4 Strength and you get a 1d8 claw" for a bear.

Yeah. Of course.

However I see the forms to be spelled out. None of that cherry picking obscure monster until high levels.

So what do you think? Would you like such a class? DMs, would such a class fit in you game? Or do you see it as to redundant with the druid, wizard, and warlock?
I voted no, because it doesn't fit into the type of game I would like to run or play in. It's just too much magic. Shapeshifting is big, and complicated, and should require a lot of magical energy to pull off. Any sort of at-will shapeshifting would be the purview of demi-gods and nigh-epic characters.

S

Sunseeker

You mean no "+4 Strength and you get a 1d8 claw" for a bear.

Yeah. Of course.

However I see the forms to be spelled out. None of that cherry picking obscure monster until high levels.

Something in between actually.

Like: Bear
AC becomes 16
+4 str
-4 dex
+4 con
Your mental scores remain the same.
You gain: two claw attacks (1d6) and 1 bite attack (1d8)
-you cannot speak while in bear form
-you cannot use normal weapons or armor while in bear form (leave the door open for "special animal-form armor")

There, it's simple.

There'd be a list like this, just like there's a spell list of Bear, Rat Wolf, Hawk, Giant versions, Dire versions, and some options for people who want to be monstrous or magical creatures.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I voted no, because it doesn't fit into the type of game I would like to run or play in. It's just too much magic. Shapeshifting is big, and complicated, and should require a lot of magical energy to pull off. Any sort of at-will shapeshifting would be the purview of demi-gods and nigh-epic characters.

Well I was thinking to scalit with the spells wizards can use.

You can do at will disguise self at level 1 but... that's pretty much all you get. Wizards are shooting fire out their fingers at will.

You gotta get a few levels in before you get "turn into a cat".

But I appreciate the input. Thank you.

---
I am actually shocked by the results. I would think having a dude turn into a dog and a bite an orc wouldn't be so much of a stretch. Low level stuff. It is the high levels I was worried about.... being too weak.

I am actually shocked by the results. I would think having a dude turn into a dog and a bite an orc wouldn't be so much of a stretch. Low level stuff. It is the high levels I was worried about.... being too weak.
It depends on how you approach the theory of magic - whether you're basing it on cause, or on effect. One of the jokes from 4E, with its "refluff anything you feel like" philosophy, was an at-will spell that destroyed the entire universe and then re-built it exactly with the only difference being that one creature is slightly singed for ~7 damage.

Turning into a dog and biting someone for ~7 damage should take way less energy than destroying the universe and re-building it for ~7 damage, but way more energy than just chucking a bit of torch fire from your hand.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
But you aren't comparing turning into a dog throwing a torch.

You are comparing a guy who can turn into a dog, an elf, or a halfling with a guy who can toss 2 exploding balls of fire, 3 heat beams, 4 blasts of fire, and unlimited torches.

But again. It depends on how you see magic and how you see D&D setting. One would thing doing something like stripping a druid's spells and doubling their wildshape wouldn't be too far off the basic assumptions of D&D. But that's why I asked.

Remove ads