D&D 5E What about a Shapeshifter class?

Would you like a Shapeshifter Class?

• Yes and I like your "Mimic" subclass

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Yes and I like your "Hulk" subclass

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Yes and I like your "Chimera" subclass

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Yes, but I don't like your vision of it.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No, a shapeshifter class is redundant.

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • No, I don't like a shapeshifter class for another reason.

Votes: 23 43.4%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So there is a lot of talk about improvements on classes that already exist in 5th editions.

And there is a lot of discussion on conversion of classes from older editions for 5th editions.

But what about completely new classes for D&D (probably, I'm only guessing it's a new idea)

A full Shapeshifter class.

Premise:
The Shapeshifter class would be a trickster class like the rogue and bard. It would be a magical class but not a spellcaster. The shapeshifter would be heavy on interaction and exploration ability. In combat, it relies on its Slam attack, natural weapons from shapeshifting, and subclass features.

Low Level Shapeshifter Ideas:
At low levels the shapeshifter is much like a fighter/rogue. In combat, the shapeshifter is a skrimisher which duck in and out of the fray to deliver a few slams/gores/bites. It's ability to change itself is equal to at will disguise self spell except it doesn't change clothes but it's a true transformation an holds up to touch.

Mid level Shapeshifter Ideas:

At the middle level of D&D, the shapeshifter ability to transform grows. It's shapeshifting ability is better than an at will alter self and has a limited ability to polymorph itself. Its clothing and belonging meld into its form and it can speak when turned into a beast. In combat it uses its natural weapons and features from its subclass.

High Level Shapeshifter Ideas:

At high levels, the shapeshifter would be the master of its forms. It can basic turn into any equal or lower level monster multiple times a day.

Subclass Ideas:

The "Mimic" Shaeshifter. This is the disguise focused subclass. This shapeshifter can turn into individuals based on description only, mimic their voices and accents with short samples, and at high levels steal memories and skills to complete the disguise.
The "Hulk" Shapeshifter. This is the combat focused subclass. The version learns a hulking form of steel, stone, bone, or wood and increased strength.
The "Chimera" Shapeshfter. This is the weird subclass. The shapeshifter masters partial shapeshifting turning arms into tentacles, shifting legs into shark tails, growing wings on its back, and sprouting snakes on its head.

So what do you think? Would you like such a class? DMs, would such a class fit in you game? Or do you see it as to redundant with the druid, wizard, and warlock?

Mercule

Adventurer
Not interested in a Shapeshifter. I'm split between the pro of "At least you don't need to put much effort into making Druid shifting worthwhile," and the con of "It's to really interesting enough to warrant its own class (YMMV, but you asked for my opinion).

EdL

First Post
Voted no. I think it would be too much of a spotlight stealer in games of investigation. In fact, I believe that in any campaign where much time is spent in towns/cities it would be OP.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Your "Chimera" subclass sounds an awful lot like the early-playtest Sorcerer, which I thought was all kinds of awesome.

Really, I feel like that alone could make an interesting class, and could be really fun. Make it a blend of the early-playtest Sorcerer and Warlock classes. As you spend your resources for the day, you become more and more "given over to the beast within," and as you advance in level, you make particular sacrifices of your human(oid) nature in order to improve yourself. You could make particular "themes" of Chimera possible, like if someone takes all the "wolf" options, they're a "controlled" werewolf, or if they take all the weird tentacular/ooze-y ones you're "dungeon-blooded" or something.

I do think that there are enough hooks to shapeshifting that it could be its own core mechanic, but you'd need to make more than just that. So I like your initial vision, but I'm hesitant to vote because "I shapeshift!" by itself feels a bit thin, mechanically.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not interested in a Shapeshifter. I'm split between the pro of "At least you don't need to put much effort into making Druid shifting worthwhile," and the con of "It's to really interesting enough to warrant its own class (YMMV, but you asked for my opinion).

It is really in the spot.

Voted no. I think it would be too much of a spotlight stealer in games of investigation. In fact, I believe that in any campaign where much time is spent in towns/cities it would be OP.

Not that much more than a bard, wizards, and warlock. They get disguise self, alter self and polymorph. Those classes wreck investigations as is.

The only real improvements a shapeshifter can add is frequency and believably.

Your "Chimera" subclass sounds an awful lot like the early-playtest Sorcerer, which I thought was all kinds of awesome.

Really, I feel like that alone could make an interesting class, and could be really fun. Make it a blend of the early-playtest Sorcerer and Warlock classes. As you spend your resources for the day, you become more and more "given over to the beast within," and as you advance in level, you make particular sacrifices of your human(oid) nature in order to improve yourself. You could make particular "themes" of Chimera possible, like if someone takes all the "wolf" options, they're a "controlled" werewolf, or if they take all the weird tentacular/ooze-y ones you're "dungeon-blooded" or something.

I do think that there are enough hooks to shapeshifting that it could be its own core mechanic, but you'd need to make more than just that. So I like your initial vision, but I'm hesitant to vote because "I shapeshift!" by itself feels a bit thin, mechanically.

Well I was being conservative to avoid looking like I'm proposing a "broken class"
But there is more you can do with it.

There is the Mister Fantatic route with stretchy arms and flexible mind.
There is the Mystique route for enhanced agility and agelessness.
There is the Wolverine route with regeneration and claws.
There is the Martian Manhunter route with density control.

Or you can go to the origin of the shapeshifting magic.
A doppelganger based magic could grant mind reading and psionics.
A lycantropic based magic could grant a hybrid form.
A fey based magic could grant arcane magic.
A vampire basedmagic from could grant necromancy and enchantments.

I love new classes. I don't even mind if it steps a bit on other classes toes as long as it isn't better at the prime thing that a class does. This seems distinct enough from from the disguise and infiltration classes on the one side and the druid on the other that I am fine with this. I would love to see your write-up.

Lancelot

Adventurer
I voted "No" for a different reason: races represent innate abilities with which you are born, while classes represent learned talents that you develop over time. For me, shapeshifting seems like something that better suits a racial ability... something that your average fighter or rogue can't dip into for a couple of levels. It suggests a fey spirit that can shift forms, or something with lycanthrope (shifter) or doppelganger (changeling) blood.

I know that sounds a bit ludicrous, but you did ask for my opinion. :)

I have a hard time seeing a typical fighter dip into shapeshifting for a couple of levels. "Yeah... I can now turn into a wolf. No, it's not magic. I don't cast spells or get blessed by the gods. It's just this knack, you know? I hold my thumbs a certain way, and twist my neck like this, and... presto! Wolf. But I need to learn some more before I become a bird. The feathers are real tricky."

Yes, same problem with multiclassing into other things. However, I can (reluctantly) justify that in my own mind as either learning a few wizard incantations or clerical prayers to augment your current career, or deciding to change career altogether. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around learning a few non-magical shapeshifts to add to your rogue, or suddenly deciding to change your career to become a doppelganger. It seems more likely as a race, to me.

One final reason why I don't like it: it's redundant with a 5e class that doesn't exist yet. The psion. Nearly everything mentioned above is right in the psion's wheelhouse, since 1e. Body weaponry (arms into swords), body equilibrium (change mass of body), psionic growth or polymorph, connection to the Far Realm (suggested by your Chimera subclass; add weird bits to current body). If psionics are truly to be distinguished from magic, then they need to focus on mental powers and the ability to influence the character's own body. I could see a shapeshifter subclass of a psionic base class, that focuses primarily on body forms. However, I think that a full shapeshifter class is going to rapidly get made redundant by the psion when it is finally released.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I voted "No" for a different reason: races represent innate abilities with which you are born, while classes represent learned talents that you develop over time. For me, shapeshifting seems like something that better suits a racial ability... something that your average fighter or rogue can't dip into for a couple of levels. It suggests a fey spirit that can shift forms, or something with lycanthrope (shifter) or doppelganger (changeling) blood.

I know that sounds a bit ludicrous, but you did ask for my opinion. :)
Iy's not ludicrous.
The idea came to me from feat ideas for the shifter, changeling, and elf races were a character revert to their old racial form or morphs to their true form.

I have a hard time seeing a typical fighter dip into shapeshifting for a couple of levels. "Yeah... I can now turn into a wolf. No, it's not magic. I don't cast spells or get blessed by the gods. It's just this knack, you know? I hold my thumbs a certain way, and twist my neck like this, and... presto! Wolf. But I need to learn some more before I become a bird. The feathers are real tricky."

Yes, same problem with multiclassing into other things. However, I can (reluctantly) justify that in my own mind as either learning a few wizard incantations or clerical prayers to augment your current career, or deciding to change career altogether. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around learning a few non-magical shapeshifts to add to your rogue, or suddenly deciding to change your career to become a doppelganger. It seems more likely as a race, to me.
It's not nonmagical.
The shapeshifter would be a straight up magical class.
They however don't cast spells. They get their magic powers from a ritual, potion regiment, magic tattoos, and then special training or something so they don't get the shapeshifter flaws of many genre.

It's a magical class. It's too hard to fluff it as not. In fact, that would be how you spot a shapeshifter. They show their true form in truesight and glow when you use detect magic.

I see it more like a invocation class like the warlock. You pick up invocations and they augment how you shapeshift.

ARMS OF BLADES
Your slam can deal slashing damage and your attacks when it does deals an additional 1d8 damage on a critical hit.

MASTER OF SIZE
Prerequisite: Master of the Mimic Forms
When you minor shapeshift, you can take the form of a humaniod of the Small or Medium size or a Large Giant.

One final reason why I don't like it: it's redundant with a 5e class that doesn't exist yet. The psion. Nearly everything mentioned above is right in the psion's wheelhouse, since 1e. Body weaponry (arms into swords), body equilibrium (change mass of body), psionic growth or polymorph, connection to the Far Realm (suggested by your Chimera subclass; add weird bits to current body). If psionics are truly to be distinguished from magic, then they need to focus on mental powers and the ability to influence the character's own body. I could see a shapeshifter subclass of a psionic base class, that focuses primarily on body forms. However, I think that a full shapeshifter class is going to rapidly get made redundant by the psion when it is finally released.

Possibly.
But I don't know if Mearls is going that way with his Mystic idea. They seem to be going heavy into the mind powers stuff.

The Body weaponry looks like it will be soulknife stuff. His immortal charges up normal weapons with psionics. So the T-1000 "turn your arms into blades and spikes" thing might not be filled any time soon.

Although a psionic order for shape shifting would be okay as well if they don't make the psion/mystic too castery.

Remove ads