What do you want in a shapeshifting class?

General shape-shifting in TTRPGs: I want there to be a differentiation between full and partial shifting. Using DnD as an example a Druid wildshaping and the Polymorph spell are what I consider full shifting. The Beast Barbarian and the Alter Self spell are partial.

I don't care if a game includes one or both options. I find both styles intriguing. I would just make sure that in either case the class provides enough so that a shifter needs little to no weapons/armor/items to be functional.

Shape-shifting in DnD 5e: I'm a big Druid fan and love the utility and uniqueness that wildshaping brings to the table. I like that some Druids have it as a utility feature (land, shepherd, dreams), some have it but is primarily used to power other abilities (spores, stars, wildfire), and one uses it for combat (moon). Poor moon is all alone.

Anyway, as much as I like the Druid style of shape shifting it does come up a bit short. The reason for that is that shifting is only a small part of the class for anyone that isn't moon. And even moon druids have full casting eating up a sizeable chunk of their design. So what I want from a shapeshifter in DnD is a full class.

That class should have the following:
  • Little to no reliance on weapons and armor like I said above. Much like the Monk, the shifter should draw most of its combat prowess from class features.
  • Like cantrips for casters, the shifter should always have some shifting abilities at their disposal.
  • No absorbing items into yourself when you shift. That's a wildshape/polymorph thing that feels overly magical. Lean into the supernatural style of shifting instead.
  • Variety to what you can shift into. Whether the shift is full or partial you don't want to be stuck with just one thing to change into. Whether that's stat blocks or an invocation style list of features I don't care.
  • No spells or cantrips. Leave the magic for the druid.
  • Archetypes can be used to tackle a number of different styles of shifting. I could see something like: the Amalgam (partial shifter that can have numerous shifts happening at once like in DOS2), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde or Maiden, Matron, and Crone (swaps major features between a few forms), the Purist (I just want to be a werewolf, okay), and the Blue Mage from FF (learn monster special abilities).

Sacrosanct

Legend
They should encompass both full body utility shape shifting, and partial transformation to just get claws out owl eyes. I'd like the subclasses to focus on what you're turning into, so you can do the animal shapes, twisted ooze/aberration and commerical shifter on one chassis.
Oh yeah, I prefer to have partial shifting at first, and then transition to full shifting as you gain power (but keep partial if you want it).

Aldarc

Legend
Seems like no matter what happens in D&D, no one is happy with the druid shapeshifter subclass. So what are you looking for in a shapeshifter class, keeping mind it would have to balance with other classes? Meaning, "I want to change into a flying griffin at low level" might not be an option. This is not D&D specific (thus the ttrpg general forum).
Probably something between a 4e druid and a 4e warden, partial and full shapeshifting, with some possibilities for shapeshifting into less natural or typical forms.

Sorry but I can hear this image in my head: "Song of the Shiverpeaks (Norn Theme)" by Jeremy Soule. The character pictured is Jora from Guild Wars 1: Eye of the North. Jora is a Norn, which are a tall non-human people who channel the Spirts of the Wild to become wear-creatures, as pictured above.

My starting point for shapeshifters would be the shapeshifting skill tree of Diablo (2) Druids. Now that would make the number of possible forms rather limited (Wolf and Bear only), but a) I do like that the shifted forms gain power over time and b) I wouldn't be generally against allowing more forms. I tend to say the available forms should be tied to a specific theme (so Druids of the tundra would have different options than Druids of the woods or the desert) and maybe there should still be a choice element (selection could extend with character progression).
Their might be room for a bit of auxiliary spell-casting, but rather than spread that out too much, I would like to see the focus of the class/archetype on the shape-shifting itself. And thematically, it would be nice if the Druids supernatural abilities to be tied to certain forms (e.g. let them improve their vision if one of their forms is Hawk, or their scent if one is Wolf).

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sorry but I can hear this image in my head: "Song of the Shiverpeaks (Norn Theme)" by Jeremy Soule. The character pictured is Jora from Guild Wars 1: Eye of the North. Jora is a Norn, which are a tall non-human people who channel the Spirts of the Wild to become wear-creatures, as pictured above.
I've always loved that pic. In fact, it is the inspiration I used when I hired an artist for my Animist profession in the game I'm working on now ;)

1701540101144.png

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
How the hell does she keep those things on her chest?
duct tap

For a shapeshifter class, I'm looking for versatility and utility. I'm not going to lie, World of Warcraft's Druid class is probably a big influence on me. I want a shape that's somewhat sneaky, one that's designed to smash stuff, and still another that's made for traveling.

I could see template choices restricted to bear/wolf- cat/spider - stag/cheetah - shark/dolphin - eagle/bat. With players free to apply cosmetics to their form template (so sure make your bear an Owlbear or call your wolf form a tiger…)
Even keep high level elemental enhancements (winter wolf - firehawk etc)

Then a seperate subclasses for those who want Treeforms or Insect swarm druids

Last edited:

Remove ads