D&D General What is your favorite class(es), and what about makes them so fun?

actually, i think that magus is inspired by the pathfinder magus, because its main mechanic (spellstrike) works very similarly. that said, yeah, his magus is pretty damn cool.
Agreed. I think Laser Llama's Magus looks a lot better than the 1st edition Pathfinder Magus. I like the former's Arcane Armory, Spellstrike, Aegis and Spellsunder features. My favorite Magus subclass is Order of the Blade Dancer.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Order of the Arcanists
Order of Arcane Archers
Order of Blade Dancers
Order of the Eclipse
Order of Scales
Order of Sentinels
Order of Spellbreakers

The Magus Class by laserllama You can read about them here.
still feels lacking like it has good mechanics but the why is missing.
a fighter cleric is different from a paladin and the arcane gish should be different from a fighter mage not just in mechanics but the why both how they come about and what they are for.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Favourite class at the moment depends on two things: my mood at the time, and what I've played a lot of lately including as NPCs in my own game.

I used to play a lot of Fighters (some of them are still around) and really enjoy them but I've kinda done what I can with them. Still, if I want to switch my brain off and just go gonzo, gimme a Fighter any time.

I really like Illusionists (the 1e version) because of the flexibility of what their illusions can do; but I've also played them to death over the years.

More recently I've been playing a number of MUs, largely because a) they seem to be the ones who last. I like them, but it's getting near time to move on. That said, I just put one of my MUs back into the field as that group's current mission seems tailor-made for mages and other literate types (we're searching for a lost library, potentially with magical writings in it).

I've never run a good old-fashioned Cleric (other than a few one-hit wonders) until recently, and am still discovering what he's got going for him. And I've never had a Thief last any length of time but I've got one now in a different group (same campaign) who, while still kind of in the "hang on and hope" phase as she's low in both level and wealth relative to her party, has a lot of potential.

My true favourite, though, is probably the heavy-tank Ranger archetype - very possible in 1e but really hard to do in later editions without multiclassing. I really oughta boot one of those up sometime...been many a year since I played one as a PC.

still feels lacking like it has good mechanics but the why is missing.
a fighter cleric is different from a paladin and the arcane gish should be different from a fighter mage not just in mechanics but the why both how they come about and what they are for.
So it ought to be more like Pathfinder 1st Edition's Magus class then? Magus – d20PFSRD This homebrewed Magus doesn't have the Fighter's Second Wind, Action Surge, or Indomitable feature. Nor does it have the Wizard's Arcane Recovery or Spell Mastery. It's not even a full caster. IMO, it's very different from a Fighter Mage. ;)

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
Favourite class at the moment depends on two things: my mood at the time, and what I've played a lot of lately including as NPCs in my own game.

I used to play a lot of Fighters (some of them are still around) and really enjoy them but I've kinda done what I can with them. Still, if I want to switch my brain off and just go gonzo, gimme a Fighter any time.

I really like Illusionists (the 1e version) because of the flexibility of what their illusions can do; but I've also played them to death over the years.

More recently I've been playing a number of MUs, largely because a) they seem to be the ones who last. I like them, but it's getting near time to move on. That said, I just put one of my MUs back into the field as that group's current mission seems tailor-made for mages and other literate types (we're searching for a lost library, potentially with magical writings in it).

I've never run a good old-fashioned Cleric (other than a few one-hit wonders) until recently, and am still discovering what he's got going for him. And I've never had a Thief last any length of time but I've got one now in a different group (same campaign) who, while still kind of in the "hang on and hope" phase as she's low in both level and wealth relative to her party, has a lot of potential.

My true favourite, though, is probably the heavy-tank Ranger archetype - very possible in 1e but really hard to do in later editions without multiclassing. I really oughta boot one of those up sometime...been many a year since I played one as a PC.
Ah, 1E illusionists!
Now there’s a welcome dose of nostalgia. They were awesome to play but also made terrifying villains for a DM.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Warlock (5e). Blade pact!

Cleric 1e, 5e wearing heavy armor, always!

Barbarian 1e what a slog but higher up rocked!

Mind of tempest

So it ought to be more like Pathfinder 1st Edition's Magus class then? Magus – d20PFSRD This homebrewed Magus doesn't have the Fighter's Second Wind, Action Surge, or Indomitable feature. Nor does it have the Wizard's Arcane Recovery or Spell Mastery. It's not even a full caster. IMO, it's very different from a Fighter Mage. ;)
no as that class seems to have the role adventure it does not make sense as no other class is the adveturer class if that makes sense they are all something else the thing that makes them or builds them.
Ah, 1E illusionists!
Now there’s a welcome dose of nostalgia. They were awesome to play but also made terrifying villains for a DM.
what was it like more or less?

no as that class seems to have the role adventure it does not make sense as no other class is the adveturer class if that makes sense they are all something else the thing that makes them or builds them.
Since this is a thread about which classes are someone's favorite class and what makes them fun for us personally, let's agree to disagree about what each of us wants to see for an arcane gish. ;) IMO, I like the homebrewed Magus class by Laser Llama. When I see this homebrewed class, it makes me think of what I would like to do with it if I was using it in a campaign adventure.

Mind of tempest

Since this is a thread about which classes are someone's favorite class and what makes them fun for us personally, let's agree to disagree about what each of us wants to see for an arcane gish. ;) IMO, I like the homebrewed Magus class by Laser Llama. When I see this homebrewed class, it makes me think of what I would like to do with it if I was using it in a campaign adventure.
I can't disagree with why someone likes something, I am more finding the falt that seems to be why the arcane gish has not been truly formed it is nothing but an adventure which I feel is a problem.
but you enjoying it is not the problem.
what is it you enjoy about it anyway?

Remove ads