• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What alignment is "X"? game time.

Bumbles

First Post
Forked from: What alignment is Cobra Commander - the Official Word

A few people arguing over what alignment various people in GI and Star Wars are so...fork time

It's time to play the game:

What Alignment is "X"?

Duke from GI JOE
Duke from Duke Nukem
Shipwreck
Sgt. Slaughter
Lady Jaye
Snake-eyes

Cobra Commander
Destro
Stormshadow
The Baroness
Major Bludd

From Star Wars:

Darth Vader
Anakin Skywalker
Luke Skywalker
Emperor Palpatine
Han Solo
Princess Leia

From Star Trek

Captain Kirk the old series
Captain Kirk the new movie
The Spocks, Scotties, and McCoy's

Feel free to add your own, and if you want to posit some arguments go ahead, but try not to argue with anyone, because except for the one guy like Barney Stinson, none of us are wrong. And Barney's only wrong because he's confused about who the Karate Kid is. This is far more of a game than it is a serious endeavor.

Derren

Hero
Using 3E alignment:

Duke Nukem: Chaotic Neutral. Although I haven't played the game much, so I might be way off.

Vader: Neutral Evil. Follows orders most of the time, but has a rebellious streak from time to time.

Anakin: Chaotic. Good/Evil axis depends on which movie (starts good, goes neutral and finally evil)

Luke: NG. Like Vader, just on the good side

Palpatine: LE. Does things by the book (Sith code) and is big in intrigues and playing people against each other

Solo. Changes from Cn to CG, or even NG. When you take the expanded universe into account he likely changes even more

Leia: Doesn't really do much in the movies (other than being in the need of rescue) to determine her alignment. Probably LG, but can be anything nonevil

Old Kirk: NG leaning CG. Tries to do the good thing, even if he has to break the rules. But only if he must.

New Star Trek crew: Chaotic stupid.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Darth Vader
Starts off NE, becomes NG at the end. Not lawful because he's outside the Imperial command structure and mastery of the dark side of the force resides in giving reign to one's negative emotions. But not chaotic because he obeys Grand Moff's order to "Release him, Lord Vader!" and ofc he also obeys the emperor.

Luke Skywalker
Starts off NG, or maybe N with G tendencies. Becomes LG. Mastery of the light side of the force requires discipline, control over one's emotions. Also as he gets older Luke becomes more aware of his responsibilities to others.

Emperor Palpatine
CE. The only non-lawful guys in a LE setup are those at the top.

Han Solo
Starts off CN. Becomes CG by the end of Episode IV.

Princess Leia
LG throughout, that's why she's so boring.

Clavis

First Post
I think of Alignment the way Gygax actually articulated the concept in the 1st Edition Player's Handbook and DMG: not really a description of behavior, but a characterization of one's spiritual essence and essential beliefs. Lawful good characters sometimes cheat, Chaotic Evil characters are capable of love, etc. Alignment is more about what cosmic side your character is ultimately fighting for, not whether or not they cheat at cards. That's why alignment change was such a big deal in 1st edition, and different alignments actually had languages that they could use to recognize each other.

That being said, here's how I'd characterize some of the figures on the list.

Darth Vader: Lawful Evil. He believes order must be brought to the Universe, and that the way to do that is through terror.

Anakin Skywalker: Chaotic Good. He seems to believe that individuals (especially himself) should be free to live by their own laws, and that this will bring the most good.

Luke Skywalker: Neutral Good. He appears to simply want to do good, and is not too concerned with bringing order or pursuing his own individual interests.

Emperor Palpatine: Lawful Evil. He believes he must personally create a new order, and revels in the pain and misery his new order brings.

Han Solo: Chaotic Good, even from the beginning. Since alignment is about intention and belief, Han was always Chaotic Good. He was simply forced by the circumstances of an evil regime to compromise his principles in order to survive.

Princess Leia: Lawful Good. She is an aristocrat, and seems to believe in a universe where a regulated society (with those like herself at its top) results in the best for all.

Captain Kirk the old series: Neutral Good. Willing to do whatever is necessary to do good, but also expects that others will heed sensible orders from legitimate authorities (like himself).

Captain Kirk the new movie: Chaotic Good. Appears to believe he should be completely free, and that regulation and order are hinderences to doing good.

The Spocks: Lawful Good. Dedicated to the maintenance of a well regulated universe where rational action promotes the best outcome for all.

I'll take a stab at the Joes:

Duke: Lawful Boring. Boy Scout. Yawn.
Shipwreck: Hmmm....Chaotic Good probably. Not much respect for authority.
Sgt. Slaughter: Lawful Neutral probably?
Lady Jaye: Umm...Neutral Good perhaps?
Snake-eyes: Lawful Awesome!

Cobra Commander: Chaotic Evil. I prefer him as a madman rather than a schemer.
Destro: Lawful Evil. His word is his bond, and there's no way he's LN given his long association with Cobra.
Stormshadow: Neutral, in the sense of switching sides over and over...
The Baroness: Lawful Hotty sums it up nicely. She's loyal to Destro.
Major Bludd: Chaotic Neutral? A true mercenary. On the other hand, he's got to be evil. Chaotic Evil doesn't seem right. So maybe Neutral Evil?

And now you know.

Set

First Post
Palpatine - neutral evil.

Luke - chaotic good.

Leia - lawful good.

Vader - lawful evil.

Han - chaotic neutral at the start -> chaotic good at the end.

Kirk - chaotic good.

Spock - lawful good.

Scotty - neutral good.

McCoy - lawful good (which is why he argues with Spock so much).

I know bupkiss about GI Joe characters, so I have no opinion on them.

For more modern creations, I wonder what sort of alignments the Harry Potter cast would have, or the Buffy the Vampire Slayer 'scooby gang' would have.

Bumbles

First Post
The Larry David character in Curb Your Enthusiasm. I love that show.

Never seen it, so can't play with it.

For more modern creations, I wonder what sort of alignments the Harry Potter cast would have, or the Buffy the Vampire Slayer 'scooby gang' would have.

Ah, something I do know.

Harry--Chaotic Good
Herm--Lawful Good
Ron--Neutral Good
Snape--Lawful, partially Evil, partially Neutral even Good.
Draco--Neutral Evil
Dumbledore--Chaotic Good
Voldemort--Chaotic Evil

Buffy--Chaotic Good
Xander--Chaotic/Neutral/Good, more tending to Lawful at the end
Giles--Lawful, Neutral, then Good
Willow--Lawful Good, then Chaotic Evil
Faith--Chaotic Neutral
Spike--Chaotic Evil, then Neutral Evil, then Neutral Good
Angel--Chaotic Good, then Chaotic Evil, then Chaotic Good
Dawn--Stupid Aspect of Chaos that was retconned into Existence. Bah!
Satsu--Chaotic Hotness.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads