D&D 5E What are some cool/neat standard PHB wizard spells?

I think it definitely is. The goal of measuring real world intelligence is to remove all "book smarts" from the equation and only measure an idealized, innate problem-solving ability. In reality, such tests measure both factors.

Anyway, the DnD terms are definitely in bizarro land sometimes. You can make an incredibly powerful wizard with low Wisdom... when the term "wizard" literally derives from "wise." The stats probably should have been called Knowledge and Intuition.
Probably. A different solution would be tying perceptiveness to intelligence rather than to wisdom. I am always puzzling if searching for a trap should be INT or WIS... I usually use perception to see what is there and INT to understand, what it might be hiding.
The order of the checks is not predetermined. For exanple I use passive invetigation to notice that the outside and the inside of a house or a wardrope don't fit together, and probably there should be a secret compartement or room somewhere.

Edit: One thing, I'd probably count towards INT as a stat is the abity to remember facts and the speed in learning new facts. WIS allows you to make good use of them however.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
People forget about it because it doesn't matter unless you're trying to, I don't know, pick locks or scribe spell scrolls while in the form of a giant ape. Stats only apply to ability checks, and the sorts of ability checks your friends might make while in combat are usually the ones that are boosted, rather than hurt, by being an enormous tower of muscle.

Not quite. Lets say instead of giant ape - you turn a group member into a tyrannosaurus rex (very beefy for a CR 8). Int is 2 so complex plans and strategy are right out. Same for using it to scout. Sure you can turn a party member into a bird, fish or whatever but Int will limit how much they can actually do.

Not quite. Lets say instead of giant ape - you turn a group member into a tyrannosaurus rex (very beefy for a CR 8). Int is 2 so complex plans and strategy are right out. Same for using it to scout. Sure you can turn a party member into a bird, fish or whatever but Int will limit how much they can actually do.

If the combat plan or strategy was told to the PC prior to them being polymorphed into the T-Rex, do they remember the plan after the polymorph?

Isn't scouting mainly a Wis based activity? I'm having trouble picturing why Int would provide a limitation.

BlivetWidget

Explorer

You're welcome to use that house rule in your own games, but that's not 5e rules. Character stats do not limit player agency. Do you make your players roll to attempt to follow a plan? If the player of a low-Int Barbarian character solves a puzzle before the rest of the team, do you remind them that they're dumb and that really the other characters would figure it out first? No. Nothing in the rulebooks says that at some certain stat threshold, the DM starts telling the player what their character thinks. If you don't make a player roll for something at one stat level, you don't make them roll for it at any stat level. Those stats are purely for rolling ability checks when ability checks are appropriate.

Not that a T-Rex needs a plan more complex than "bite enemy."

Mort

Legend
Supporter
If the combat plan or strategy was told to the PC prior to them being polymorphed into the T-Rex, do they remember the plan after the polymorph?

Isn't scouting mainly a Wis based activity? I'm having trouble picturing why Int would provide a limitation.

Mostly wis sure for purpose of detection (preception etc.) but retention and communication are more int.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
You're welcome to use that house rule in your own games, but that's not 5e rules. Character stats do not limit player agency. Do you make your players roll to attempt to follow a plan? If the player of a low-Int Barbarian character solves a puzzle before the rest of the team, do you remind them that they're dumb and that really the other characters would figure it out first? No. Nothing in the rulebooks says that at some certain stat threshold, the DM starts telling the player what their character thinks. If you don't make a player roll for something at one stat level, you don't make them roll for it at any stat level. Those stats are purely for rolling ability checks when ability checks are appropriate.

I said absolutely nothing about limiting player agency, players are absolutely allowed to act however they please.

However, that doesn't change that when your intelligence is 2, the player may play like their intelligence is 2, because roleplaying. And as DM you can't tell a player what to think or how to act, but you certainly take into account that their current mental faculty is less than your average dog.

Not that a T-Rex needs a plan more complex than "bite enemy."

Sure, and normally that's just fine. But when complex stuff is required - could cause an issue, like say a tactical retreat or complex ambush.

The point is - the spell is great but has certain limitations that should be considered.

Remove ads