D&D 5E What are some cool/neat standard PHB wizard spells?

aco175

Legend
I always liked burning hands and thunderwave. They are close range and get multiple bad guys. Most wizards do not like to be that close, but they come in handy.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Funny there's a whole other thread with this very problem except the spell in question is hypnotic pattern.

There are LOTS of 4th level and lower spells that are extremely effective - many of which have already been named.

I've seen hypnotic pattern used - it's very effective.

Haste is good - though it's even better from a sorcerer using twin spell.

As stated, polymorph is excellent for offense, defense and scouting - though too many people forget that the mental stats are affected too.

Lots of options.

Shiroiken

Legend
Spell you should show your player:

Catapult - use acid, alchemist fire, or even just oil (followed by the player's preferred fire spells) to kick an extra bit of damage on a 1st level spell.

Cause Fear - I know it's concentration, but giving a creature with multi-attack disadvantage is huge for your allies.

Grease - requires some work, but in a narrow passage, it can keep enemies from closing, or allowing your front line to pound on prone opponents. Everyone needs ranged attacks though, because smart enemies will simply withdraw behind it.

Levitate - concentration, but this can also be a great offensive spell against an enemy lacking ranged attacks. You put them up about 60 ft until the end of combat, then either pelt them with ranged attacks until they surrender/die, or let them drop from 60 ft for 6d6 damage, then have your melee buddies pound as a reaction on the now prone enemy.

Web - concentration, but useful for holding some enemies out of the combat, then he can fireball them afterwards, dealing extra damage

Counterspell - no wizard should forsake this. While it's not an action, it will suck away those fireball slots

Hypnotic Pattern - you'll kick yourself for doing this, because this is probably the most amazing control spell in the game.

Melf Minute Meteors - your player might really enjoy it, as it can potentially deal more damage than fireball. It'll also allow him to use his bonus action.

Slow - probably a better choice for you as the DM than Hypnotic Pattern, but does the same type of control (just not as bad)

Banishment - not only great for getting rid of pesky outsiders, but taking a target out for the entire combat, then pounding on them when you bring them back is pretty awesome.

Evards Black Tentacles - basically Web with damage

Polymorph - offensive or defensive, this spell is amazing. Make an ally into a killing machine or make a powerful enemy into a shark while on land to take it out while dealing with the rest.

Wall of Fire - the most evil use of this spell (which you're player will love) is using the 10 ft radius Ring configuration on a paralyzed/restrained target(s), with the damage pointed inward. Even when not using it this way, it still works into his theme.

Animate Objects - a bandoleer of daggers becomes a quezenart that shreds one monster at a time.

I always liked burning hands and thunderwave. They are close range and get multiple bad guys. Most wizards do not like to be that close, but they come in handy.
Burning Hands may be good, but I detest Thunderwave. I refer to it as "ringing the dinnerbell" :rolleyes:

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
Telegraph + Spells!

Here's the thing: just because you provide the spells does not mean the player will take the time to copy them or memorize them.

So, one thing you can do (by no means the only!), is telegraph encounters where a particular spell (or two or three) may prove useful.

Wilderness sneaking encounter coming up? Fog Cloud! Espionage information garhering? Clairvoyance! Rogue has a weapon the villain is weak to? Haste!

BlivetWidget

Explorer
As stated, polymorph is excellent for offense, defense and scouting - though too many people forget that the mental stats are affected too.

People forget about it because it doesn't matter unless you're trying to, I don't know, pick locks or scribe spell scrolls while in the form of a giant ape. Stats only apply to ability checks, and the sorts of ability checks your friends might make while in combat are usually the ones that are boosted, rather than hurt, by being an enormous tower of muscle.

People forget about it because it doesn't matter unless you're trying to, I don't know, pick locks or scribe spell scrolls while in the form of a giant ape. Stats only apply to ability checks, and the sorts of ability checks your friends might make while in combat are usually the ones that are boosted, rather than hurt, by being an enormous tower of muscle.

I'd probably don't give you every detail if you use polymorph for scouting as an animal with int 1. I'd say, you saw a few orcs or a large number, but I won't give you exact numbers.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
I'd probably don't give you every detail if you use polymorph for scouting as an animal with int 1. I'd say, you saw a few orcs or a large number, but I won't give you exact numbers.

That's your prerogative as DM, but let me remind you that the Intelligence stat is not a measure of what we call intelligence in common English. In 5e, the Intelligence stat refers to learned knowledge - history, religion, etc. Every PHB description of an Intelligence skill is either recalling lore (by vast majority) or making logical deductions based on knowledge. Intelligence is "book smarts."

Wisdom, in comparison, is "street smarts." What you're describing falls somewhere in the Perception and Survival zone, both Wisdom.

This is why most Beasts in 5e have low Intelligence and high Wisdom. They are not book-learned, but they are smart. As a concrete example, real world studies have shown crows to have one of the highest IQs in the animal kingdom (behind humans and on par with primates). Crows can absolutely count, solve puzzles, play tricks on others, etc. Their Int score is low, but their Wisdom score is good. Higher than a commoner, in fact!

So it would make more sense to say that the Beast forms with low Int would not recognize magic symbols for what they are, couldn't read, etc. But simply noticing how many things there are is definitely Wis.

That's your prerogative as DM, but let me remind you that the Intelligence stat is not a measure of what we call intelligence in common English. In 5e, the Intelligence stat refers to learned knowledge - history, religion, etc. Every PHB description of an Intelligence skill is either recalling lore (by vast majority) or making logical deductions based on knowledge. Intelligence is "book smarts."

Wisdom, in comparison, is "street smarts." What you're describing falls somewhere in the Perception and Survival zone, both Wisdom.

This is why most Beasts in 5e have low Intelligence and high Wisdom. They are not book-learned, but they are smart. As a concrete example, real world studies have shown crows to have one of the highest IQs in the animal kingdom (behind humans and on par with primates). Crows can absolutely count, solve puzzles, play tricks on others, etc. Their Int score is low, but their Wisdom score is good. Higher than a commoner, in fact!

So it would make more sense to say that the Beast forms with low Int would not recognize magic symbols for what they are, couldn't read, etc. But simply noticing how many things there are is definitely Wis.

That is intersting. I know that much of that is wisdom. On the other hand investigation, making deductions based on logic is intelligence. So exact counting (for numbers above 10 or so) would fall under INT in my book. Also I would make you illiterate and probably not understanding conversations... I mean nothing in the stat block indicates that you understand common.
On the other hand, as a raven you can use mimicry and possibly retell what you heard. And of course, after transforming back, I'd probably let you try to recall what you have heard, probably with an Int check.

But those are only rulings and you could easily do it your way.
Only objection: if ravens have more wisdom than a commoner, but lower IQ in realiy, maybe IQ is the average of WIS and INT.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
maybe IQ is the average of WIS and INT.

I think it definitely is. The goal of measuring real world intelligence is to remove all "book smarts" from the equation and only measure an idealized, innate problem-solving ability. In reality, such tests measure both factors.

Anyway, the DnD terms are definitely in bizarro land sometimes. You can make an incredibly powerful wizard with low Wisdom... when the term "wizard" literally derives from "wise." The stats probably should have been called Knowledge and Intuition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases