Level Up (A5E) What are "Subtle Changes" in LU?

...Wow, another big one I only just found: You now add your Con modifier (presumably positive or negative) to each hit die you roll at the end of a short rest. That's a huge change in the relative balance of Con against other attributes, and a huge bump in total HP resources for an average party.
That’s always been true my friend 😀

“For each Hit Die spent in this way, the player rolls the die and adds the character’s Constitution modifier to it.”

Faolyn

(she/her)
I assume (and like) this is a nod to inclusivity, but on the other hand it doesn't make much sense. IRL sign languages not only require learning separately, in many cases they aren't even strictly the same language!
Yeah, I'm assuming it's actually some sort of gestural thing, or maybe something like Signed Exact English rather than a proper SL.

It occurs to me that simply changing things (in my world) to 'there is a sign language for every language, and you can choose to learn that instead of a different language' would work well. On one hand there's a cost, but you also get to learn a silent & secret code that most others around you would not know - and then have it that some NPCs only use sign.

My assumption is that it's there for players who want to play a signing character (especially if the player is also reliant on a sign language), and want their character to be able to communicate with the party. Sometimes there's going to be that one other player in the group who thinks it is fun to not be able to communicate with the signing character, and can't take a hint that this isn't fun for the player of the signing character.

I'm probably not going to have it be true by default in my games, but it's at least a reminder to be aware of a potential problem.

noodohs

Explorer
It's a fantasy world, so why not just assume (as the rules say you should) that everyone just learns the sign version of a language at the same time they learn the language? The implication is that that's just what everyone does. This then applies to NPCs, too, so it's not like the players are getting away with some secret code language baddies can't decipher.

Remove ads