What are the greatest published adventures you've run?

Marx420

First Post
Tomb of Horrors. (Oh, you meant great for PLAYERS?)

Followed closely by the entirety of Queen of Spiders.

Besides these an some Paizo paths I'm mostly homebrew, though I did have a grand old time playing through Necromancer Games' City of Brass as an endpoint to one of my crazier extraplanar romps.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
I6 Ravenloft
I3-I5: Desert of Desolation series
T1: Temple of Elemental Evil
L1-L2: Secret of Bone Hill, Assassin's Knot
G1-G3: Against the Giants
D1-D3: Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
DL1-DL3: Dragons of Despair, Dragons of Flame, Dragons of Hope
N1: Against The Cult of the Reptile God
U1: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
B1:The Lost City
B2:Keep on the Borderlands
X1: Isle of Dread
Inferno by Judges Guild

meomwt

First Post
I've run NeMoren's Vault twice with different groups and had a blast each time. It's one of the better low-level modules out there, but has a great story which gradually unfolds.

I'd also put The Grey Citadel into the mix, it's a great blend of role-playing, investigation and dungeon-crawling.

I'm desperately trying to think of any 2e modules I ran which were well-received, but that seems to be a bit difficult right now. In 2e most of the stuff I ran was home-brew or heavily modified, mostly from the pages of Dungeon.

Even now, I'm having a blast with DCC28 Into The Wilds but have had to kitbash the thing to increase the challenge, we have 9 players round the table right now and therefore need more opponents to keep the challenge up. DCC57 Wyvern Mountain is getting the same treatment (plus a backwards conversion) so as to keep the players on their toes...

howandwhy99

Adventurer
All of the awesome early adventure mods have been listed or simply should be listed, if not. Some are better than others, but the list below is later stuff only

Harley Stroh's Legacy of the Savage Kings - is top notch. One of the best mod designers working today.

Erik Mona's Whispering Cairn - is awesome sauce with a tomb and dungeon classic feel.

Kevin Kulp's Of Sound Mind - is a great town and dungeon with a lot of space for extras to be added and some neat surprises within.

Sir Robilar

First Post
Some of my favorites are:

Tammeraut´s Fate
Mad God´s Key
The Lightless Depths
(all three from Dungeon Magazine)

Tower of the Last Baron (Paizo Adventure)

JRRNeiklot

First Post
There are some really great adventures out there. I've ran a bunch over the years. I'll just list a few of my favorites:

Ghost Tower of Inverness
Tomb of Horrors
Forgotten Tomb of Tharizdun
Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Bleak House
Rappan Athuk
Necropolis
Hall of Many Panes

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but Feast of Goblyns for Ravenloft is my all-time favorite module. It really helped move me into more live play with things like NPCs (rather than having my NPCs hang out at one location). What I loved about it most, is ran smoothly and it provided so much setting material, even if the players went off track there was cool stuff to do.

CapnZapp

Legend
If we're doing non-D&D, I'll put forward one of the many early-90s ICE modules for Shadowworld (statted for RM and Fantasy Hero): The Orgillion Horror
Going off a tangent here (in 2023):

Leafing through this module I must say I don't see it. The greatness, I mean.

The house is mostly empty (i.e. no encounters except random ghosts). The story basically amounts to plopping a Doppelganger into the adventure, and letting the GamesMaster figure something out. That is, isn't this just the kind of good old non-adventure adventure where all the work needs to be done by the GM, rather than, say, supplying an actual plot with listed encounters, colorful NPCs, and such?

(And the latter half of the adventure is just a crypt stuffed with a large amount of non-descript undead and some high-powered random loot)

I guess I don't see what value the written text adds over the basic premise.

While the layout of the manor is okay (especially given it is such an early/old module), there's basically nothing in 85% of the rooms.

Do you remember what you had in mind when you recommended this scenario twelve years ago? Do you have any thoughts on what I might be missing? Or is it simply "we had a great time, and I realize now that it was MY imagination and MY energy that made this great rather than anything the actual module supplied"?

Cheers

PS. To be honest, of what I've seen of RoleMaster/MERP adventure scenarios, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that D&D won out and that there just isn't any choice if you want ready-made d100 scenarios. Almost all of ICEs attempts at writing actual scenarios (as opposed to supplying campaign worlds) fail miserably to me. Filling MERP module after MERP module with "here's a bear and there's some bandits; you can kill and loot them if you want" isn't exactly evocative of Tolkien's writings... Perhaps it could compete with early AD&D dreck, but it doesn't hold up today. (I thought I could run some d100 adventures with the Against the Darkmaster ruleset, but after looking around I'm basically baffled how hard it is to find even a single scenario of quality written for d100 games!)

JG's Dark Tower

G&D series, by the master himself.

Ran both in 1e, and in several other fantasy systems.

Carved in Stone, by Harnmaster.

Remove ads