D&D 3E/3.5 What are the main changes from 3.5 to Pathfinder?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
...and how do those changes affect mixing & matching stuff?

I'm a busy guy, and I game with busier guys. So even though I've had the core pathfinder books and the APC for some time, I haven't had the time to dig deep and see exactly what changes have been made. (Lots of reasons: travel, studies, and currently one guy has volunteered to run a trial of 4Ed to name a few.)

This matters because most of us prefer 3.5Ed, and I've seen a lot of interesting changes in some of the game's other offspring (Arcana Unearthed, Midnight 2Ed, Fantasy Craft, True20, Warriors & Warlocks to name a few), and I'm trying to piece together what system I'd like to run a campaign in. IOW, will I stick with 3.5Ed or would another game suit it better? Or would picking one as a core game to add bits and pieces from the other work the best?

No need for the fiddly bits- just highlighting of the MAJOR changes.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
* The classes are all more appealing than they were (subjective, sure, but that's my opinion anyway).

* Playing a single class for 20 levels is not only viable, it's encouraged. However, multiclassing is at the same time easier than ever, in part thanks to the skill system shakeup.

* The skill system is a lot sleeker, faster and more intuitive.

* Combat manoeuvres are more streamlined, and simpler to resolve, meaning you might well see more of them being used, meaning combat is more interesting. :)

* Some problem spells here and there have been tweaked or nerfed, as required.

* Casters get unlimited cantrips, which means there's always "something to do", other than resorting to the proverbial crossbow.

* All the races are good, and worth playing. Also, more true to "lore", I would say, with Elves for example actually receiving a bonus to Int (!) - as well as Dex, natch.

* Running monsters as PCs is simpler. Not sure how well it's balanced, but it sure is more straightforward than in 3e. #

* Just a lot of neatening up and common sense changes in general, IMO.

As for mixing and matching, I wouldn't. Not from the player end of things, that is. Some of it could be translated, without much fuss. But it would need some translating, for sure. Monsters and such? Maybe a bit less fiddling required. That's my impression. But I haven't actually tried to mix and match, so...

# Well, it's actually perhaps more balanced. Er. I guess I meant that it works a bit better. Hm.

Last edited:

Micp

First Post
try to look at the conversion guide. i believe it's free to download from paizo's website. that should make it pretty clear.

ruemere

Adventurer
The links

Between Paizo's Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document and jreyst's Pathfinder SRD you have core rulebook, Game Master's Guide and Advanced Player's Guide at your fingertips.

For offline version, you cannot go wrong with jreyst's Downloadable PDFs of Site Files.

The changes

Practically everything was retouched. It is still similar to 3.5 but the more you play, the more you find your game altered.

Some claim that Pathfinder's caster edition of 3.5, i.e. the power of spellcasters was boosted... the optimizer guys are able to produce convincing reasoning for this, yet at the same time, one's ability to use their suggestions requires higher, much higher than average familiarity with the rules, and in some cases, use of metagaming knowledge.
For now, let's settle for simplified version: the old vices of 3.5 are still here - you can do stuff with spells which goes beyond martial capacity.

For me and other, less proficient folks, Pathfinder appears to be quite the opposite. While all classes gained something, it's the martial guys who benefited most from the changes. The new maneuvers mechanic is simpler to use, and my players like to use them.
Increased number of feats adds a lot more oomph to more intricate builds.
New skill system is easier to use and makes a lot of skills more interesting.

The most important change: Pathfinder is supported, developed and living beast.

Regards,
Ruemere

Steel_Wind

Legend
Aus Snow did a pretty good job of noting the biggies. In terms of classes, all of them were tweaked and redesigned so that there are no more "dead levels". You always get a new class ability or feat (or both) when you level.

This is actually my favorite addition to the game.

In terms of using older 3.5 material or Iron Heroes or whatever else. Yes, you can do it. Many do - most don't.

I think it's a matter of what floats your boat. If you still enjoy 3.5 along with many of the 3.5 splat books? Then you can use them still with Pathfinder RPG almost without conversion (or with minimal conversion).

If on the other hand, you became disenchanted with the bulk and power creep in 3.5, you can just use the base Pathfinder system. Most also use the the Pathfinder expansion hardcover (APG) to the system as well.

A deliberate marketing choice that Paizo has made has been to keep the hardcover count to a dull roar each year, with only 2 or 3 new hardcovers released per year. The publication schedule is instead filled with GM focussed Chronicles products, Player oriented Companion products and, of course, stand-alone modules and Adventure Path issues. There is a crapload of stuff to buy every month, but the power creep is more restrained. Most of the products are setting and adeventure material and NOT rules.

Imagine, a RPG company which focuses upon setting and adventures and not rules so that in a few years, their business model does not require them to revise, reset and resell an entirely new version of the game -- all over again. That business model has an overall reduced longevity over the long haul and Paizo has not -- to date -- built their RPG line around that theme.

Last edited:

I just started playing Pathfinder, and a rule I missed in the first session is:

Spells which involve a ranged touch attack provoke an AoO from the attack in addition to that caused by casting a spell; casting the spell defensively removes the casting AoO, but not the ranged attack AoO.

Mojo_Rat

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
I just started playing Pathfinder, and a rule I missed in the first session is:

Spells which involve a ranged touch attack provoke an AoO from the attack in addition to that caused by casting a spell; casting the spell defensively removes the casting AoO, but not the ranged attack AoO.

pretty sure this was true in 3.5 as well.

to the op one thing I recommend is cherry pick what feats or spells you allow from 3.5 they are compatible but should be examined individually.

I would also recommend a low level Pf only game to learn the changes it will make it easier to learn the rules then add non Pf stuf later if you want it. our group is Pf only though.

Last edited:

Remove ads