D&D 3E/3.5 What are the main changes from 3.5 to Pathfinder?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Generally speaking, are the Pathfinder versions of Feats & Spells more powerful, less powerful, or variable in comparison to their 3.5Ed* counterparts?

* or counterparts from other "cousins?"

frankthedm

First Post
Fiddly bits can cascade into major changes...

Pathfinder FAQ - Pathfinder_OGC useful link.

Generally speaking, are the Pathfinder versions of Feats & Spells more powerful, less powerful, or variable in comparison to their 3.5Ed* counterparts?
Pretty variable, but certain "must haves" were notably tweaked downward in power

Remove Poison, Death Ward and Heroes Feast got fixed. :devil:

Power attack is much more in line with a low level feat. More feats are available to turn single attacks into heavier wallops.

Last edited:

Mojo_Rat

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:

I think some people feel they are weaker but I believe that's a fallacy I will use a few examples

imp grapple power attack trip etc all now give just +2 this looks weaker at first but there is less of a bonus for size now. so an ogre now only gets +1 for his size.

secondly the greater versions are a lot better. when you over run someone in Pf with greater overrun it now triggers a aoo that everyone can take.

in general there is a lot more incentive to use combat maneuvers

Ahnehnois

First Post

All over the map. Polymorphs were radically reduced in power. XP costs were made into material components, making those spells more accessible. In general, the more extremely over/underpowered options from have drifted towards the middle.

Pathfinder, IMO, failed to adequately address Dex-based melee fighting.

Weapon Finesse still exists, but even if you take it, you need to take another feat to use your Dex bonus in place of Strength for your Combat Maneuver Bonus (the generalized replacement modifier for Disarm, Grapple, and Sunder attempts).

There's no feat in the core to get a Dex bonus to damage; certain feats - most notably, Dervish Dance from the ... Arabian Nights-esque setting book whose name escapes - gets you Dex to attack, damage, and CMB (I think on the last) but only with a specific weapon (scimitar), and it lets it count as a one-handed piercing weapon for class abilities that rely on it (like the Duelist class's).

It's kludgy, at best, and still an oversight, at worst.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Pathfinder, IMO, failed to adequately address Dex-based melee fighting.

While I don't find the existing rules to be all that crushing a disappointment, it appears that your view is otherwise.

In any event, my expectation is that these complaints will be substantially addressed in Ultimate Combat, which will be released on Thursday August 4, 2011 at Gencon.

While I don't find the existing rules to be all that crushing a disappointment, it appears that your view is otherwise.

... I don't think they're a crushing disappointment, either.

I just think it's a spot where they could have fixed a 3.5 issue, but didn't, and then proceeded to patch over it in a pretty inelegant fashion.

EDIT: They've also left in the "It takes three feats to be a decent archer" rules (Point Blank, Precise, Rapid). This could've been handled better, too.

Bacris

First Post
I very much like how they've changed combat maneuvers. I'm seeing them get more use in my games, because they're simpler. AoO? Yes, no. Roll with CMB - beat CMD? Yes, no. No opposed rolling and cross checking, size penalties significantly better for PCs. Tripping / Disarms / Bullrush were things I almost never saw in 3.5 campaigns unless someone (usually me...) had a character concept around it - because it was clunky. It's a lot more accessible now.

Bacris

First Post
Any official (or good non-official) conversions for non-PHB classes, like Psionics, for Pathfinder?

Not to toot my own horn... but my publishing company, Dreamscarred Press, released a Pathfinder RPG version of psionics - Psionics Unleashed. It's in my signature and there are quite a few places you can read informed reviews on if it's "good non-official" (Amazon, Paizo, RPGNow, and DriveThruRPG all have reviews on it by people unaffiliated with Dreamscarred Press).

Remove ads