D&D 5E What are the Roles now?

teitan

Legend
Sigh I miss the days when there could be a party of fighters or thieves running around etc. The days when one played what they wanted rather than worrying about some... Role.

Ashrym

Legend
Sigh I miss the days when there could be a party of fighters or thieves running around etc. The days when one played what they wanted rather than worrying about some... Role.

The days when the last person to show up felt obligated to play a cleric?

What you are describing is easier now than it's ever been, imo. Moving skills to backgrounds from proprietary class abilities plus non-combat feats has opened up choice over role like it's never been before when traps meant thief / rogue and healing meant cleric. Now things like a thief with the healer feat or a fighter with the urchin background eliminate such class / role needs.

That flexibility is one of 5e's strong points.

Yea I miss when he game didn't default to a fightr a mage a cleric and a thief... Oh wait it was never and it was no more a straight jacket then or now

BryonD

Hero
Yea I miss when he game didn't default to a fightr a mage a cleric and a thief... Oh wait it was never and it was no more a straight jacket then or now

And if you keep saying that enough, just maybe one day it will become true that everyone else experienced older systems exactly the same way you did.

And if you keep saying that enough, just maybe one day it will become true that everyone else experienced older systems exactly the same way you did.

or maybe if I say it often enough people will stop being dismissive of other peoples thoughts and opinions... I could hope

edit: see people necro threads FULL of disagreements then pretend they 'won' and post a thread cap saying something like this then if no on comes in he gets to fly his banner proud... so instead I come in and remind him nothing changed...

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
or maybe if I say it often enough people will stop being dismissive of other peoples thoughts and opinions... I could hope
Boggling

Nothing in the claim that "The days when one played what they wanted rather than worrying about some... Role." is dismissive of your opinion. It is completely reasonable for one person to have truly experience that way and for you to have truly experienced it another.

But, on the other hand, you use terms like "straight jacket" and insist that perceiving a difference "then or now" is impossible. Thus you are completely, and closed-mindedly, dismissing other opinions. (as you did repeatedly throughout this thread).

edit: see people necro threads FULL of disagreements then pretend they 'won' and post a thread cap saying something like this then if no on comes in he gets to fly his banner proud... so instead I come in and remind him nothing changed...
I don't know where he was saying anything about having "won", but you get to the second sentence and repeat your dismissal by substituting your lack of difference in perception as a universal truism that nothing ever changed. And that simply is dead false to a lot of people.

You can accept this opinion. (at least in theory you can)
You can continue to reject this theory and be the guy "dismissing other peoples thoughts" just to "fly his proud banner".
Or you do that second option AND be a hypocrite by slamming "dismissing other people's thoughts" while in the midst of doing so.

Your call.

cmad1977

Hero
I found the roles from 4e to be basically copy/pasting from WoW.
There are 'roles' in every party but they aren't codified into the rules the way they were.

Edited to avoiding hurting peoples butts.

And that really is the bottom line.
You are trapped in a position that demands that other people's contrary opinions MAY NOT exist.

no... other opinions "Hey I don't like roles?" are fine

it's others stating fact not in evidence (or at least debatable) "I can't play X with roles" when through out the entire thread people have pointed out that the roles are no more or less restrictive then you want them to be...

stating an opion like "I don't like cheeseburgers" is fine, or even saying something more general like "I don't like fast food."
how ever stating something like "Man I miss days before fast food when you could cook your own burger" is plainly false... nothing about there being fast food stops you from making your own burger...

"I don't like D&D 4e" is an opinion, "I don't want to use roles" is an opinion, "Roles force the game to be played a way that no one that likes roles plays like" is not an opinion it is denying what people are telling you...

I do not like spicy food (for the most part) what I consider spicy a lot of people call bland... I can't even explain exactly why my opionon is bad of spicy food, I just don't like it... I do not pretend that someone labeling food on a menu as spicy means I will never eat out again (at that restaurant or any other)...

Nothing in the claim that "The days when one played what they wanted rather than worrying about some... Role." is dismissive of your opinion. It is completely reasonable for one person to have truly experience that way and for you to have truly experienced it another.
the dismissive part is we have been over and over in this thread that there are people who can not see anything stoping the playing of the game the exact same way in 4e that he describes... so, what he misses is still there... or else are you going to tell me no one who ever played 4e played a groupd of fighters?

he didn't start a new thread not knowing that this argument went on for weeks (wait maybe months) he looked for this old thread full of the argument, then came in to claim that "I miss X" even though if X was missing was the entrie disagreement (or atleast a major thrust of the disaggrement.)

the difference is walking out side and saying "Man, it's cold out" and finding two people who have argued 'its cold' 'no it's warm' and saying "Man. it's cold out" after they both stoped argueing... it either A restarts the argument or B is spikeing the ball

Last edited:

157 pages in to this, is there anything new to add? if not let me sum up...

some people like roles and want them back.
some people hate roles and think they ruined the game.
some people don't care about roles.
There is not a set way that roles interact with the game that can be agreed from all three sides...
---- some people believe that roles stopped you from playing the game the way you did before.
---- some people believe that roles were just lables and as such stopped you from doing nothing...
---- some people believe that roles have only slightly changed/evolved over time
---- some people believe that roles only existed in 4e and no other game ever.

every single group of those some people, and mix there of have evidence that if we are fair can not be fully dismissed...

Remove ads