What are you reading in 2023?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The Stone Sky.

I've definitely enjoyed the first two books, but I'm thinking the ending will not be to my liking. I'll enjoy the journey there, though. If you reply, put it in spoiler tags ....

Richards

Legend
I picked up Diablo Mesa by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, the third novel (apparently of three) of the spin-off series from the Agent Pendergast novels featuring archaeologist Nora Kelly and FBI agent Corrie Swanson. This one will apparently involve Area 51 somehow - interesting. I'm hoping it's good, because they really disappointed me with their last Pendergast book, Bloodless.

Johnathan

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
About two-thirds of the way through this Conan compilation, and I already have Thoughts.

First off, anyone who disparages Roy Thomas' run on Marvel Comics' Conan run (which I've heard sneered at over the years) is out of their mind. A lot of the stuff that's now seen as iconic and a key part of the Conan stories appear to be course-corrections by Thomas, who had the benefit of being able to see all the completed stories before the comics were released. For instance, Belit dies halfway through the adventure she appears in. She's a great character who obviously shouldn't be summarily killed off! So, instead, Thomas ... didn't kill her off. So we got to see Belit over and over again in the comics including, I believe, subsequent publishers giving her comic books all of her own.

Other than the threatened rape at the end of the Frost Giant's Daughter, the misogyny is of the "Willie Scott won't stop screaming in Temple of Doom" kind, which is irritating, but a lot less problematic.

What is problematic is Howard's thoughts on Black people. First off, he continually calls Black people "the Blacks" everywhere they appear, which no other ethnicity or skin color gets: They're in a separate category. And even when he clearly thinks he's praising them, his writing about Black people falls into the worst stereotypes, talking about them being physically more capable of any non-Blacks other than Conan (honestly, there are times where it sounds like REH has a giant crush on his own character), but morally and intellectually weaker overall, although there are individuals where he shows them the equal or better of the non-Blacks (again, other than Conan). He also shows them to be extremely likely to slide into the sway of evil powers or be transformed into bestial figures by magic, whereas non-Black characters are more likely to just be killed by magical threats, rather than be corrupted by it.

He also repeatedly uses whiteness as a symbol of nobility or sexual desirability. A lost Stygian princess is identifiable as a member of the nobility because she's paler skinned than other Stygians. When Conan desires a woman, we hear about how dainty and pale she is.

Obviously, he's a lot better than his correspondent, H. P. Lovecraft, was during much of his life, but it's striking how hung up Howard is on race. And again, this is a place where the comic book adaptations have improved on the source material, with heroic badass Black characters appearing in the Marvel books, which first came out during the Blacksploitation era, when Marvel Comics was extremely keen to court Black audiences.

Finally, while some of the stories are absolute bangers -- The God in the Bowl is a justly well-remembered classic -- the stories I don't recognize the names of are usually less-remembered for a reason.

I'm enjoying this book, but it makes me want to pick up a collection of the early Conan and Red Sonja comics before I continue with the next two collections of the original REH stories, just to compare.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
About two-thirds of the way through this Conan compilation, and I already have Thoughts.

First off, anyone who disparages Roy Thomas' run on Marvel Comics' Conan run (which I've heard sneered at over the years) is out of their mind. A lot of the stuff that's now seen as iconic and a key part of the Conan stories appear to be course-corrections by Thomas, who had the benefit of being able to see all the completed stories before the comics were released. For instance, Belit dies halfway through the adventure she appears in. She's a great character who obviously shouldn't be summarily killed off! So, instead, Thomas ... didn't kill her off. So we got to see Belit over and over again in the comics including, I believe, subsequent publishers giving her comic books all of her own.

Other than the threatened rape at the end of the Frost Giant's Daughter, the misogyny is of the "Willie Scott won't stop screaming in Temple of Doom" kind, which is irritating, but a lot less problematic.

What is problematic is Howard's thoughts on Black people. First off, he continually calls Black people "the Blacks" everywhere they appear, which no other ethnicity or skin color gets. They're in a separate category. And even when he clearly thinks he's praising them, his writing about Black people falls into the worst stereotypes, talking about them being physically more capable of any non-Blacks other than Conan (honestly, there are times where it sounds like REH has a giant crush on his own character), but morally and intellectually weaker overall, although there are individuals where he shows them the equal or better of the non-Blacks (again, other than Conan). He also shows them to be extremely likely slide into the sway of evil powers or be transformed into bestial figures by magic, whereas non-Black characters are more likely to just be killed by magical threats, rather than be corrupted by it.

He also repeatedly uses whiteness as a symbol of nobility or sexual desirability. A lost Stygian princess is identifiable as a member of the nobility because she's paler skinned than other Stygians. When Conan desires a woman, we hear about how dainty and pale she is.

Obviously, he's a lot better than his correspondent, H. P. Lovecraft, was during much of his life, but it's striking how hung up Howard is on race. And again, this is a place where the comic book adaptations have improved on the source material, with heroic badass Black characters appearing in the Marvel books, which first came out during the Blacksploitation era, when Marvel Comics was extremely keen to court Black audiences.

Finally, while some of the stories are absolute bangers -- The God in the Bowl is a justly well-remembered classic -- the stories I don't recognize the names of are usually less-remembered for a reason.

I'm enjoying this book, but it makes me want to pick up a collection of the early Conan and Red Sonja comics before I continue with the next two collections of the original REH stories, just to compare.
I'm still working my way through this collection as well. Though a bit slower it seems. I just finished Xuthal of the Dusk, the story you referenced with the white-skinned Stygian noble woman.

I remember the Marvel Conan comics quite fondly. Savage Sword of Conan (the black & white magazine) was also amazing. Especially the art. So good. The first comic I bought at a con was Conan #2. I still have it. Lost civilization and science-fantasy all the way. Great stuff.

I bounced off of Andre Norton for years until I finally started in on the Witch World series. The first book felt sharp and concise to me.

I remember as a kid in the 70's I found quite a few of Andre Norton's books hard to follow. I haven't read any recently, but have one somewhere around here (I think it's Witch World actually). I should grab it and see if it's still the same confusing stuff

The Roy Thomas stories absolutely are an important part of the Conan legendarium. Arguably, they're a huge part of the popular conception of the character, alongside Schwarzenegger's take.

As for REH's racism, its glaring and while he does have a few moments where he can get past his own prejudices and write a character that isn't just a racist stereotype, it can be tough to read.

At its best, his writing is amazing, though. It's muscular and lyrical, and there's a reason it's persisted as long as it has, despite the painful reminders of the time and place it was written.

What is problematic is Howard's thoughts on Black people. First off, he continually calls Black people "the Blacks" everywhere they appear, which no other ethnicity or skin color gets. They're in a separate category. And even when he clearly thinks he's praising them, his writing about Black people falls into the worst stereotypes, talking about them being physically more capable of any non-Blacks other than Conan (honestly, there are times where it sounds like REH has a giant crush on his own character), but morally and intellectually weaker overall, although there are individuals where he shows them the equal or better of the non-Blacks (again, other than Conan). He also shows them to be extremely likely to slide into the sway of evil powers or be transformed into bestial figures by magic, whereas non-Black characters are more likely to just be killed by magical threats, rather than be corrupted by it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Wow, the Comixology meltdown has apparently claimed all of the classic Marvel Comics Conan collections. At least the split rights to Red Sonja means those digital comics are still available. (Anyone who wants me to maintain a comprehensive library of hard copy comics is welcome to rent a storeroom in my name -- I just don't have the space for it.)

Reynard

Legend
I just finished the audiobook of "Command and Control" by Eric Schlosser. It is a deep dive into.the US nuclear arsenal, from the Manhattan Project through the end of the cold war and beyond. It is gripping and, frankly, terrifying. If you remember random "tornado drills" in the early to mid 80s it will freeze your blood. We all -- literally-- almost died.

Anyway, it is accessible and engaging and informative. If you like narrative non-fiction and especially the cold war, I heartily recommend it.

I just finished the audiobook of "Command and Control" by Eric Schlosser. It is a deep dive into.the US nuclear arsenal, from the Manhattan Project through the end of the cold war and beyond. It is gripping and, frankly, terrifying. If you remember random "tornado drills" in the early to mid 80s it will freeze your blood. We all -- literally-- almost died.

Anyway, it is accessible and engaging and informative. If you like narrative non-fiction and especially the cold war, I heartily recommend it.
I keep forgetting to read that, it's like I need to make a sticky note.

Wow, the Comixology meltdown has apparently claimed all of the classic Marvel Comics Conan collections. At least the split rights to Red Sonja means those digital comics are still available. (Anyone who wants me to maintain a comprehensive library of hard copy comics is welcome to rent a storeroom in my name -- I just don't have the space for it.)
What's going on with Comixology?

Croesus

Adventurer
Just finished S.A. Chakraborty's Daevadbad trilogy. Djinn society in the late 18th Century in the Middle East. Lots of myth, magic and political intrigue. Overall reminded me a lot of Frank Herbert's Dune. My only complaint is that the books are too long. Almost 2,000 pages for the three books. Could have cut the page count by 40% and been a better, tighter story in my opinion.

Slightly off-topic, but anyone else notice that many of the older books, from the 1960's and 1970's, could pack an entire story into just 200 or so pages, but nowadays the same type of book is 600+ pages? I don't know if this is an editing issue, a style issue, or what. But I do find myself skimming many of the more modern books because the plot advances so very slowly.

Remove ads