What are you Reading? Jaunty January 2019 edition

New year, new month, new thread!

I finished Artemis Fowl a while back, and honestly came close to hating it. It wasn’t badly written, but the protagonist was pretty much the villain of the story, and I was rooting against him the whole time.

Now I’m onto some Appendix N reading, with Bellairs’ Face in the Frost.

Richards

Legend
I'm reading Big Damn Hero by James Lovegrove, the first in apparently a new series of novels set in the Firefly/Serenity universe. The crew starts off on Persephone with a dodgy job from Badger, and then Mal apparently gets kidnapped.

The jacket shows two more books forthcoming in the series in the near future. Shiny!

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm reading Big Damn Hero by James Lovegrove, the first in apparently a new series of novels set in the Firefly/Serenity universe. The crew starts off on Persephone with a dodgy job from Badger, and then Mal apparently gets kidnapped.

The jacket shows two more books forthcoming in the series in the near future. Shiny!

This is several year old news, but there's a free Firefly story from Steven Brust released under Creative Commons.

http://dreamcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/My-Own-Kind-of-Freedom-Steven-Brust.pdf

I enjoy Brust's published works, which is what separates this from other fan fiction for me.

Starting up the Darksun novel "The Obsidian Oracle".

Rereading and taking notes to lock in time table for my new 3.5 Darksun game and Storyhour

Richards

Legend
This is several year old news, but there's a free Firefly story from Steven Brust released under Creative Commons.

http://dreamcafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/My-Own-Kind-of-Freedom-Steven-Brust.pdf

I enjoy Brust's published works, which is what separates this from other fan fiction for me.
Yeah, I read that one when it was first released online. I like Brust's work, too. I wonder what changed between "we're not going to publish Firefly novels after all" back then to the obvious new decision to publish these new novels. Regardless, I'm glad to see them being published, but poor Steven Brust kind of got screwed in that process.

Johnathan

Finished The Face in the Frost. A charming fun read. I can see why Gygax included it in Appendix N. The guy that had a wizard go to the wild west would like a book with a magic mirror that tunes into the World Series.

Now I'm going for Elizabeth Hand's Wylding Hall.

delericho

Legend
"Anna Karenina", and the 4e "Dark Sun Campaign Guide". I'm also reading a couple of books for work, but am not free to discuss that here. :)

I have no idea what is next, nor indeed when that might be.

Finished Wylding Hall. Eerie and vivid, it tells the story of a 70s Folk Rock band who go on a getaway to an old house in the countryside to record their album. Told through present-day “interviews,” it slowly reveals the eerie occurrences there.

I found myself quite caught up in the tale and while reading, found myself thinking how I couldn’t wait to look up Windhollow Faire (the fictional band) on Wikipedia and Discogs.

Now I’m moving onto The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien. Had this for a while, but haven’t gotten around to reading it until now.

Richards

Legend
I'm reading All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault, a superhero novel by James Alan Gardner. He's using the same writing style as he did with Expendable (an excellent book - I highly recommend it), where there are chapters, but each chapter is broken into smaller (sometimes very small) "chunks," each with its own header in bold. It makes reading through it very addictive and almost impossible to stop until you hit a chapter break, because you can read "just a little more" over and over until you're gobbling down dozens and scores of pages at a sitting.

In any case, this is an interesting take on "superhero science" and the hows and whys of how superpowers work. (Bottom line: superbeings draw their energy from alternate universes, some of which have different laws of physics). He also does a great job explaining away how costumes and masks "work" in protecting superhero identities, all while weaving an origin story about four young college women who first gain their powers in a science lab explosion.

I'm about 150 pages in an am thoroughly enjoying it. (I still like his Expendable novel and subsequent series a little better, but this is a good read and it'd be hard for him to top Expendable in my eyes anyway - I still think it's his greatest work.)

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm reading All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault, a superhero novel by James Alan Gardner.
(I still like his Expendable novel and subsequent series a little better, but this is a good read and it'd be hard for him to top Expendable in my eyes anyway - I still think it's his greatest work.)

I enjoyed All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault, but was not enamored with it. Some of the parts of the deconstruction of where super powers came from was quite novel and some of the strongest bit. On the other hand, I didn't like the "Dark" side as the general antagonists and felt that social changes would be even stronger then presented.

But the writing was decent, so maybe I'll give Expendable a try.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases