• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are you reading this year 2020?

When you put it like that, yeah, it doesn't sound so bad. Heck, I've done those, and even Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which is a brick of a book.

I just finished Chant's Red Moon and Black Mountain. Good stuff, with some wonderful language. I think it suffers a little at times from feeling like someone trying to mash The Chronicles of Narnia and the Lord of the Rings together.

Next up is the short The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark's.

1000 pages? That's like what, less than one of the middle Wheel of Time novels. Easy. :)

Nellisir

Hero
That is what I'm reading right now- the Great Book of Amber. It actually includes two entire five-book series.
And the books are pretty short. I think each 5-book cycle would be a single novel by todays standards. And the publisher would be pushing him for a third...

Nellisir

Hero
I just reread Brightness Reef, by David Brin. The first book in the second Uplift trilogy. I think I read these before I read the original trilogy, and I'd forgotten (or was uncertain in my recollection) that some characters continue between the two trilogies, so I'm leaning towards starting in the beginning, with Sundiver, and working through the original trilogy, then finishing the second trilogy. I dunno though. Still not feeling super motivated to read.

Mercurius

Legend
As of today, Amazon CA has a release date of Oct 12, 2021. A few years back they had a release date in 2018.

There's been interviews with Scott Lynch back in 2018 that it was just a touch more to be done. 2018.

He's got a lot going on; I don't begrudge him the time he needs to create something for my enjoyment. But it'll be out when it's out, and I don't want to chase rumors anymore.

View attachment 117189

It is worth noting that's the paperback version, so maybe the hardcover is slated for 2020 after all.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm trying to get back into reading more, after years of reading very little fiction.

I just started reading David Gemmell's Echoes of the Great Song.

Not sure what I'll read after that, but some contenders:

*Moorcock's Corum books
*Classic sword & sorcery: Leiber, Moore, Ashton Smith, etc.
*Doris Lessing's Shikasta series (started this last year, really liked it, but stopped for some reason)
*Ingenious by Darius Hinks
*Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons
*Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
*The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu
*Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio

I'm reading the tales of 1001 nights. 8 very thick volumes written in an old version of my native language, and beautifully illustrated. This will take a while. Also, there are often stories within stories within stories. It's like fairytale-ception.

badreddin.jpg

Last edited:

carrot

Explorer
Im 3/4 through the The Light that Falls (Book3 of the Licanius trilogy). I really enjoyed the first two books, but this has been a bit of a slog for the most part - although it might have helped if I'd re-read the first two as it's taken a while for this to arrive. The story is finally starting to pick up now though, and the author is definitely having fun doing nasty things to his characters! And with a story involving time travel, he does seem to have been pretty consistent, which makes a nice change.

Been on a classic S&S/Appendix N kick of late myself. I've heard good things about Priory of the Orange Tree, but haven't read it.

Just finished The Black God Drums. A fast novella, and one that bends genres of steampunk, alt history, and urban fantasy, amongst others. Good stuff.

Next up is William Morris' The House of the Wolfings.

Not sure what I'll read after that, but some contenders:

*Moorcock's Corum books
*Classic sword & sorcery: Leiber, Moore, Ashton Smith, etc.
*Doris Lessing's Shikasta series (started this last year, really liked it, but stopped for some reason)
*Ingenious by Darius Hinks
*Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyons
*Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
*The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu
*Empire of Silence by Christopher Ruocchio

Richards

Legend
I'm now starting up The Skin Collector, the next Lincoln Rhyme thriller in the series by Jeffery Deaver after The Kill Room (which I finished up this morning).

Johnathan

Remove ads