What are you reading this year 2020?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Apparently I missed the fact there were Books of the South in the Black Company series, and read one out of order. Now, where can I find a used hard copy with everything closed up? Sigh. I own a TON of ebooks, but I really prefer hard copies. But as a person looking for work, new isn't a good idea right now. I wonder if the library has them (heck, I don't even know if the library is open!)

Not the library, alas.....

Finished Brooks' Magic Kingdom for Sale-Sold. Really surprised I didn't get to it sooner. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's no deep tale, but it has plenty of charm and heart.

Now I'm reading David Mogo, Godhunter, by Suyi Davies Okungbowa. It's described as Nigerian God-Punk, and that sounds hecking interesting.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Just finished Norton's "The Last Planet (Star Rangers)" written in 1953, it is high quality standard SF, and the whole "collapsing empire" theme is well done.

Richards

Legend
I started a new urban fantasy novel last night, "Queen of Shadows" by Dianne Sylvan. According to the back cover, it's going to have the practically obligatory handsome vampire love interest (sigh), but what appealed to me was the main character: an empath scraping a living as a singer in Austin, Texas, manipulating the audience's emotions to feel good while listening to her music. That's not something you see every day. I'm one chapter in but it got interesting right from the get-go. Of course, handsome vampire love interest just showed up so I'll bet we take a little side trek into just how dreamy he is for awhile, but I'm interested to see what happens with the main character.

Johnathan

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I started a new urban fantasy novel last night, "Queen of Shadows" by Dianne Sylvan. According to the back cover, it's going to have the practically obligatory handsome vampire love interest (sigh), but what appealed to me was the main character: an empath scraping a living as a singer in Austin, Texas, manipulating the audience's emotions to feel good while listening to her music. That's not something you see every day. I'm one chapter in but it got interesting right from the get-go. Of course, handsome vampire love interest just showed up so I'll bet we take a little side trek into just how dreamy he is for awhile, but I'm interested to see what happens with the main character.

Johnathan
I actually read the entire Sookie Stackhouse series (basis for the True Blood tv show). I found it pretty enjoyable. I'm ok with romance; as long as the action or mystery is solid - which in the Southern Vampire series it was.

Richards

Legend
I've heard good things about the Sookie Stackhouse series (from a former boss) - I may have to look them up, although having watched the TV show (at the same boss's recommendation - she even loaned me the first three seasons on DVD) I imagine there wouldn't be much in the way of surprises for me.

Johnathan

Finished David Mogo, Godhunter. For a book under 400 pages, it packs a lot into it. Magic, gods, the apocalypse.

I'm back to Saberhagen's Empire of the East now, with Changeling Earth. The one specifically mentioned in Appendix N (the third book in the series, oddly).

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Finished reading Terry Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight. I have the next Discworld book Snuff coming from Amazon

Finished reading Coolidge by Amity Shlaes.

Started reading William Tecumseh Sherman: In Service of My Country by James Lee McDonough.

Started reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow after watching the musical twice this weekend.

Still reading Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer. I'm in the Sanderlanche ending, so almost done.

Remove ads