What are you reading this year 2020?

Nellisir

Hero
Just finished 2020 Hugo Award winner A Memory of Empire. Would recommend.
I think that's on my list to get. I'll prioritize it.

I just finished Early Riser, by Jasper Fforde. Good, enjoyable, but not as...(dynamic?) as some others. I don't think alternative worlds is really what he dabbles in, more like...nonsense worlds. In Early Riser people hibernate. The world is largely glaciated. Wales is a vacation destination on the Albion Penninsula. You can take a day excursion to a mammoth farm and milk a mammoth. Tom Jones exists, and Rawhide, and Canada.

It's a little hard to pigeonhole, actually. Not a comedy. Mostly mystery?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Inspired by

Shorter Appendix N

I ordered and finished Three Hearts and Three Lions. I thought it was better executed (or maybe just more serious) than De Camp and Pratt's Harold Shea, and I can see where it influenced D&D. In spite of my love of 6/7ths of Narnia, and one-time really liking Thomas Covenant, I apparently have more trouble getting in to Crossworlds Fantasy than the just in that one world kind.

I like the breezy tone of Harold Shea, but Three Hearts and Three Lions is absolutely one of the key texts of Appendix N. And I don't think anyone would disagree with the statement that Anderson was the better author than De Camp and Pratt.

I ordered and finished Three Hearts and Three Lions. I thought it was better executed (or maybe just more serious) than De Camp and Pratt's Harold Shea, and I can see where it influenced D&D. In spite of my love of 6/7ths of Narnia, and one-time really liking Thomas Covenant, I apparently have more trouble getting in to Crossworlds Fantasy than the just in that one world kind.

I finished reading One Who Walked Alone. An absolute must for any fans of R.E. Howard. It's a fascinating view into who he was, but Novalyne Price is also pretty interesting. Driven, opinionated, with strong views on equality.

Next up, what else could I read but some R.E. Howard. It's Conan the Usurper. With the aforementioned De Camp.

Nellisir

Hero

Try The Broken Sword too, also by Anderson. I read both earlier this year.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Finished rereading Glen Cook's Dread Empire prequels, The Fire in HIs Hands and WIth Mercy Towards None. Reading the three books in the main sequence and the prequls back to back shows how much his writing imporved from 79 to 85. The Fire in His Hands is particularly well done.

Storm Bringer/Stealer of Souls hasn't arrived yet, so I'm starting the next Dread Empire book instead.

Last edited:

Remove ads