D&D 5E What are your biggest immersion breakers, rules wise?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Non-lethal damage.

Player: "I swing my mighty greataxe at the foul villain, and roll a... natural 20!"
DM: "Wow! Roll damage!"
Player: "...30 slashing damage. Oh wait, I forgot rage, make that 32 damage."
DM: "An explosion of blood bursts forth as the enemy is cleft in twain by the jagged steel of your axe! He's deader than dead. You kill him so hard the guy next to him feels it."
Player: "...oh, this is a non-lethal critical hit from a greataxe."
DM: o_O

1 hour long short rests. I wish they had have made them a few minutes of inactivity instead (quick swig of water etc).

It's just so jarring when players are hunting down a safe place to rest for exactly one hour midway through clearing a dungeon level.

I just allow 2 handwaved short rests per PC per long rest (representing a swig of water, map check, quick bandage of wounds, refocus and rebreather). It's far less immersion breaking.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thats the actual rules. Those 6 arrows didnt pierce your skin. They likely glanced off your armor, or you dodged them at the last second, or deflected them away with your weapon (losing HP in the process).
All fine until those arrows are poison-tipped, at which point this train of thought comes off the rails.

If I get hit by 6 poisoned arrows I have to make 6 saves vs poison; and the very fact I have to make those saves at all says that each arrow either touched my skin (for contact poison) or broke my skin (for just abut any other type of poison).

Conversely to a lot of you I prefer to think of HP as actually being meat points. It fits with a mystical aesthetic. Think about the legends of how Rasputin died; how he allegedly was repeatedly shot and stabbed and beaten with chains but just wouldn't stay down until they bound him up and threw him in the river to drown

Oh, speaking of poison, the fact that all poisons in 3e take exactly the same amount of time to take effect and their effects, if survived, are all in the same ballpark in terms of how long it takes to heal from them

Horwath

Legend
I do not mind hig HPs, high level PCs/NPCs are (super)heroes.

I see high level combat as The Expandables movies, players getting missed by every bullet fired from the 80s, and tanking puches and kicks that would leave a regular guy with subdural hematoma, cracked ribs and puctured lungs and spleen at least, but all they do when they fall is shake it off or limp a little for few minutes.

Remove ads