• I don’t even have the core rules

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I used to buy every book but not any more

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 6.3%

Stormonu

Legend
I tend to buy only the official Core books (PHB, Xanathers,Tasha's, DMG), and official & 3rd party campaign books that interest me (Theros, Eberron, Ravnica, Tehautl & Chronicles of Aeres). When it comes to monster books, I buy any I can get my hands on, WotC or 3rd party. I only buy adventures I plan to run (Curse of Strahd, Ghosts of Saltmarsh).

my buying experiences span a lot of time, and my habits shifted a lot...
1E years. I basically bought everything I could find at the stores, which wasn't so much when you lived in a little MT town.
2E years. Mail order over the phone came along, and I bought just about every 2E product that came along, excepting some of the books and modules for settings I didn't care for.
3E. Got the three core rulebooks, really didn't care for it, didn't buy anything else. Did get a free copy of Nyambe free for being a contributor. Was also out of RPGaming by this time, so my interest in looking at new stuff declined.
4E. Nothing. Was completely out of touch with D&D during those years.
5E. After reconnecting with the D&D crowd somewhat online, I heard a lot of good stuff about this version, and found out my nieces and nephews were into it. So I got the core rule books and a couple of adventure books. Still not back into gaming, but they were an interesting read... and it was interesting to see how the state of the game has changed since 2E days...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I am not gonna single anyone out because a few people have said this and I am genuinely curious what all your responses are, but I can't help by wonder how "I only buy adventures I plan to run" works when you might change your mind once you read it (either because of the quality or just b/c it ends up not being a good fit for a current or forthcoming game). Do you mean, you plan to run them but that plan may not come to fruition or buying it means "it must be run!"

I would say "I only buy adventures I hope to run" - but then again I love adventures and tend to collect them and mix and match them or elements from them. I actually haven't checked out any 5E official modules (except for the conversions in Ghost of Saltmarsh and Yawning Portal) because of my deep disappointment with "official" modules from the 2E era on (and I regretted getting the latter).

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Every once in awhile, I buy a POD/PDF from DMs Guild, usually a Classic or AD&D 2e product.

I think I want most of the Spelljammer run, and Dark Sun... and maaaaaaybe Planescape. All of the Known World Gazetteers. I already have the complete Player's (and DM's) Option series, but there's a few of the PHBRs I'd still like to have.

When 6e finally, eventually, comes out I'm going to have to look over it very thoroughly before I make any decisions.

Stormonu

Legend
I am not gonna single anyone out because a few people have said this and I am genuinely curious what all your responses are, but I can't help by wonder how "I only buy adventures I plan to run" works when you might change your mind once you read it (either because of the quality or just b/c it ends up not being a good fit for a current or forthcoming game). Do you mean, you plan to run them but that plan may not come to fruition or buying it means "it must be run!"

I would say "I only buy adventures I hope to run" - but then again I love adventures and tend to collect them and mix and match them or elements from them. I actually haven't checked out any 5E official modules (except for the conversions in Ghost of Saltmarsh and Yawning Portal) because of my deep disappointment with "official" modules from the 2E era on (and I regretted getting the latter).
In the case of Curse, Yawning & Ghosts, I'd already run the 1E/2E versions and was confident they'd do just as well in 5E. For the others, I've learned to do my research and give a good look over at the book store/FLGS/PDF before buying into. This all comes from getting burnt on adventure purchases back in 2E, and them turning out to be ...less than usable.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Voted "Core Rulebooks Only" as that's closest to the truth; if there was an option "Core Rulebooks plus a very few other things" I'd have voted for that as I'm always on the lookout for good adventures.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I have a white box with all four supplements. I have a Rules Cyclopedia. I have the 1st edition core books.

I have all I'll ever need in terms of books and most paraphernalia (dice, trays, towers, cups, mats, grids, screens, etc.).

I buy minis—and that's pretty much it.

Stormonu

Legend
I buy minis—and that's pretty much it.
Forgot about minis! I buy tons of those, prefer pre-painted. And to go with that, dungeon tiles.

I've got a large collection of both, so I don't buy as much as I used to as I'm only filling in gaps I don't have. However, since the prepaint MtG minis and Rime of the Frostmaiden packs had a lot of unique creatures, I've bought a lot of those recently. Similar with the Wizkid Warlock tiles - picked up a good bit of the "wood" interiors for making taverns, patron households and the like to go with dungeon stuff I have.

Voadam

Legend
I own seven official 5e books (3 Core Books, Curse of Strahd, Volo's, Xanathar's, and Eberron). I know I got many of those as gifts, I might have bought 0-4 of them myself. Most of my purchasing is PDFs. I have a lot of 5e PDFs, including ones from WotC, DMs Guild, and OGL.

I buy every rules and monster book, campaign books occasionally if I think I might run them or mine them for content, and setting books that don't involve Magic the Gathering.

I'm not particularly opposed to Magic the Gathering settings in principle, it's just that I've ended up eventually buying every setting book that wasn't one of those and so far none that are.

Remove ads