• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are your thought on the Mystic Theurge?

Crothian

First Post
Psion said:
What are we investigating here? It sounds like you think there's a "problem" to be solved. The problem, as it exists, is only the standard concepts of niches and allocating challenges.

Not problems, I'm just trying to see how our gaming styles are different and how that changes one's opinion of the MT. You've answered my question and I can see your side of it now, thanks.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Mystic Theurge and almost every other PrCl that allows full spellcasting or psionic progression (especially in MULTIPLE classes) are overpowered (eventually- not so much at low levels). If they are ever revised, they should either alternate arc/div spell levels gained, or keep the simultaneous advancement, but only do so every other level...

But I'd play one if it fit my PC conception.

Thanee

First Post
Crothian said:
Well, you can only do that at 10th level or higher and it's a gamble to have them prepared as your highest level spell as you might not run into sometrhing with SR.

I was more speaking of 12th+, when it's not your highest levels anymore. Don't think SR comes into play much before those levels, anyways. And, of course, you primarily use Cleric spells for that, because you convert them to cures. :)

Bye
Thanee

WampusCat43

Explorer
Sabathius42 said:
I played an aspiring MT (Cloistered Cleric/Wizard) who didn't quite make it to 7th level to take actual MT levels. He was horribly pincushioned in a battle by archers.

He was extremely underpowered compared to the rest of the party. He was almost a chore to play because I had to wait so long in between times he could really be handy.

He never stepped on the toes of the party sorcerer. The sorcerer focused on blowing things up and my character focused on buffing and healing the party in battle.

DS

:] I was the DM on that one. Ol' Randalf stood up from cover and attempted to Enthrall a bunch of poison dusk lizards. Unfortunately, that spell takes a full round to cast.

"Ladies and lizardfolk, I've come here today...Pffffft! Ow! Pfffft! Eeeek! Pffft! OOooo..."

A comedy of failed saving throws later, and we buried him in the swamp.

rgard

Adventurer
Quartz said:
MT isn't an Epic Prestige Class, so this rule doesn't apply.

No, not detailed in the Epic book, but they do say that 10 level prcs are the only ones you can take epic.

But whoever posted that the Epic MT couldn't happen until the character achieved 21st level is correct.

Thanks,
Rich

rgard

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
The Mystic Theurge and almost every other PrCl that allows full spellcasting or psionic progression (especially in MULTIPLE classes) are overpowered (eventually- not so much at low levels). If they are ever revised, they should either alternate arc/div spell levels gained, or keep the simultaneous advancement, but only do so every other level...

But I'd play one if it fit my PC conception.

If you alternate the levels gained or only do so every other level, there is no need for the prestige class. What you describe is a straight multiclass character. That may be your point.

From personal experience, and to echo many who have posted here, the the MT type classes aren't over powered. What you give up in higher level spells lost, loss of familiar advancement, loss of bonus feats and others, makes up for the ability to cast a boatload of lower level spells.

Of course this is just my humble opinion.

Thanks,
Rich

Drowbane

First Post
Crothian said:
Do people actually run their own cohorts? It is an NPC. Do people run all the followers to? I can see it now 4 guys with a single character sheet and one guy with 10!! :lol:

Absolutely, the DM has more than enough on his plate already.

The DM, of course, has power of veto is the player wants his cohort to do something unreasonable.

delericho

Legend
Ravensblood said:
Thoughts and opinions?

When I first saw it, my initial impression was that it was a game-breaking monstrosity that would never have a place in my game. After having seen it actually used, I've revised my opinion: it's not a nice, flavourful class, but it's actually well-balanced and won't break your game.

I'll never be a fan of the class. It exists to fix a whole in the rules around multiclass spell-casters, and I'm of the opinion that a better fix can and should be found for the next edition. But, as the rules currently exist, the Mystic Theurge does the job it was designed for.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads