D&D 5E What battle system would you prefere for Baldur's Gate 3?

What battle system would you prefer for Baldur's Gate 3?

• Real Time with Pause (RTwP)

• Turn Base Combat (TBC)

• Active Time Battle (ATB)

• Something else. Explain...

Results are only viewable after voting.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
When I was a young adult with tons of free time and a gaming PC, RTwP was just fine. BG2 is my second favorite game of all time.

Now that I am a middle aged adult with less free time and an XboxOne, RTwP doesn't work for me. The turn based combats in Divinity Original Sin were easy to traverse with a controller, and I can turn the TV off and leave the game paused at any time as things come up that I have to attend to.

Meanwhile I have a barely played copy of Pillars of Eternity on the same console because the RTwP system is so so crap that there is nothing I can do to make my spellcasters get a single spell off in combat before the enemies have run all the way across the screen. I have taken to booting all the characters that require pausing every couple seconds out of my party and just hoping that my melee and ranged attackers (who are fairly well automated) can work with the skeleton summoning guy to get me through the combats.

RTwP=No bueno on a console without serious ability to "pre program" your characters to act correctly in combat without your constant attention. I would be interested to see a game where it was RTw/oP and your characters acted solely based on a robust and customizable system of "programming" you do to them behind the scenes to guide their actions. I don't wan't that game to be BG3, however.

I just want BG3 to feel like Dungeons and Dragons, not like BG and BG2. This preview did a pretty bang up job of showing Dungeons and Dragons (both in lore and 5e ruleset) shining through. I can't describe the foul look on my face when I installed Neverwinter (the current F2P game) and created a STR based cleric only to realize in the first three minutes my cleric just shot magic missiles at everything over and over again and could literally never melee. Thats NOT Dungeons and Dragons.

slobster

Hero
Now that I am a middle aged adult with less free time and an XboxOne, RTwP doesn't work for me. The turn based combats in Divinity Original Sin were easy to traverse with a controller, and I can turn the TV off and leave the game paused at any time as things come up that I have to attend to.

Meanwhile I have a barely played copy of Pillars of Eternity on the same console because the RTwP system is so so crap that there is nothing I can do to make my spellcasters get a single spell off in combat before the enemies have run all the way across the screen. I have taken to booting all the characters that require pausing every couple seconds out of my party and just hoping that my melee and ranged attackers (who are fairly well automated) can work with the skeleton summoning guy to get me through the combats.
I want to be the guy who posts snarkily about not buying strategy games on a console for precisely this reason.

Instead I'm the guy posting that I indeed bought PoE like 3 weeks ago for PS4, because I was in the mood for an isometric. And despite liking the game, I haven't picked it up in about a week because it's so...damn...annoying to control.

I wish I had a PC good enough to run modern games, but I'm older now and I only have a console. I like playing RPGs on PC way more than on console, but it's just not practical. So I'm totally with you, even though I wish I didn't have to be. :cry:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yeah, and I'm even somebody who loved the story and worldbuilding and characters (well, some of them) in PoE. I just bounced off the combat hard. Especially since I decided to play a Cypher PC. I would definitely do things differently if I were to pick it up again.

Olrox17

Hero
I want to be the guy who posts snarkily about not buying strategy games on a console for precisely this reason.

Instead I'm the guy posting that I indeed bought PoE like 3 weeks ago for PS4, because I was in the mood for an isometric. And despite liking the game, I haven't picked it up in about a week because it's so...damn...annoying to control.

I wish I had a PC good enough to run modern games, but I'm older now and I only have a console. I like playing RPGs on PC way more than on console, but it's just not practical. So I'm totally with you, even though I wish I didn't have to be. :cry:
I played and finished PoE on the PS4. I had fun, it’s a good game. However, my brain reminded me every second how much more fun I would be having if the game was just turn based.
Couldn’t bring myself to play the expansions 🙁

Horwath

Legend
I played and finished PoE on the PS4. I had fun, it’s a good game. However, my brain reminded me every second how much more fun I would be having if the game was just turn based.
Couldn’t bring myself to play the expansions 🙁

PoE2 has turn base mode.

I hated it, so I guess you guys that love TB would be very satisfied with it.
To each its own.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
PoE2 has turn base mode.

I hated it, so I guess you guys that love TB would be very satisfied with it.
To each its own.

Everything I've heard is that PoE2's turn-based mode was a crappy after-thought that failed to properly incorporate many of the rules that were found in the core RTwP system.

Which just further goes to show that these are not easily interchangeable systems

It should surprise absolutely no one that the game is Turn Based, since the deal with Wizards was built upon the success of Original Sin 2. It's also fitting since D&D has always been a Turn Based game.

That said, I haven't seen anything about the game that makes it "Baldur's Gate" yet. The city in the cinematic is not Baldur's Gate, and we haven't seen any familiar characters in the reveal. I'm sure that will change, of course.

Remove ads