D&D 5E What battle system would you prefere for Baldur's Gate 3?

What battle system would you prefer for Baldur's Gate 3?

• Real Time with Pause (RTwP)

• Turn Base Combat (TBC)

• Active Time Battle (ATB)

• Something else. Explain...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vael

Legend
I voted turn-based, though as long as the game is well executed, I will adapt. The gameplay preview definitely sold that XCom vibe of having to manage your team and then missing those 90% shots ... so I'm down for that.

Li Shenron

Legend
An essential feature of BG games is the ability to acquire NPCs in your party and to control them directly. This immediately throws a purely real-time combat system out of the window.

I was never very fond of RTwP of BG1 and BG2, it was for me the only weakness of the game, not detrimental to playing but it was pretty much THE missing thing which prevented BG to be fully a D&D game.

Then, ToEE came out with its turn-based system and felt the most D&D computer game ever. Sadly, it didn't have the narrative depth and fantasy setting scope of BG, but it made me wish for a ultimate D&D game that had both features. If BG3 will be turn-based, it has a chance to be that game.

Oofta

Legend
Found this in an interview

The choices that we made are ours. Why did we go for turn-based instead of real-time with pause? Because D&D to us is a turn-based game and we’re really good – or we have become really good – with turn-based combat. So that, I think, is one of our strengths, and trying out real-time with pause for now, just because the originals were that? It’s a big risk. Because the team would have to think completely differently, our combat would be completely different. And we didn’t really feel good about that. Normally we do try out a lot. Normally we try out a lot before we make a decision, but with real-time with pause and turn-based we didn’t, we just said “Okay it’s just gonna be turn-based.” – David Walgrave, Executive Producer Larian Studios

Remove ads