D&D 5E What battle system would you prefere for Baldur's Gate 3?

What battle system would you prefer for Baldur's Gate 3?

• Real Time with Pause (RTwP)

• Turn Base Combat (TBC)

• Active Time Battle (ATB)

• Something else. Explain...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Horwath

Legend
We have lots of activity here about BG3 and reddit is in "torch and pichfork mode" about it.

So, this is a simpe poll,

What would be your prefered BG3 combat system.

Coroc

Hero
The only way to stay as true as possible to 5e is turn based. Especially, as you could see in the PAX gameplay trailer, that they use the granularity of action and bonus action and movement. Like in tabletop.

The only way you can do this is turn based, there is by logic no way you could reasonable use Realtime with or w/o pause.

And nice, if you can do this at your table anytime you desire, not everybody has a group available, whenever he wants to play real D&D.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I never liked the real time with pause of the original Baldur's Gate and could not bring myself to play it. If I have to manage a party, I would, prefer the system as demoed. If real time then I would prefer the essentially single player system of Neverwinter Nights, with added companions, to the older realtime system of Baldur's Gate.

Horwath

Legend
The only way to stay as true as possible to 5e is turn based. Especially, as you could see in the PAX gameplay trailer, that they use the granularity of action and bonus action and movement. Like in tabletop.

The only way you can do this is turn based, there is by logic no way you could reasonable use Realtime with or w/o pause.

And nice, if you can do this at your table anytime you desire, not everybody has a group available, whenever he wants to play real D&D.

I see turn base as a necessary "flaw" in design of tabletop as all players cannot act in the same time unless we have some kind of LARD/Matrix VR/Holodeck/etc... where AI can take all that information simultaneously. So I would not port that "flaw" to CRPG where it is not essential.

Coroc

Hero
I see turn base as a necessary "flaw" in design of tabletop as all players cannot act in the same time unless we have some kind of LARD/Matrix VR/Holodeck/etc... where AI can take all that information simultaneously. So I would not port that "flaw" to CRPG where it is not essential.

Yes, but you could do this with another system like the one they used in BG 1 and 2, but not with 5e.
It simply is not possible with 5e and still offer the three possible actions per round.

With BG1+2s 2e adaption you had a combined move (until at target) and then attack.

With BG3 you have move action bonus action and reaction. As you correctly pointed out the situation "all happens simultaneously" cannot be portrayed correctly in 5e Table top. The same goes for BG3 had they chosen to use RT.

Horwath

Legend
With BG3 you have move action bonus action and reaction. As you correctly pointed out the situation "all happens simultaneously" cannot be portrayed correctly in 5e Table top. The same goes for BG3 had they chosen to use RT.

Why not? You can do it perfectly.

Olrox17

Hero
Turn based, absolutely! It allows for maximum strategic gameplay. Everytime I played Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age and Pillars of Eternity, I always wished they were fully turn based instead.

If I'm in mood for some RPG-like action, I'm going to boot up Dark Souls, Bloodborne or perhaps an Elder Scrolls game, not "pure" RPGs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases