D&D 5E What battle system would you prefere for Baldur's Gate 3?

What battle system would you prefer for Baldur's Gate 3?

• Real Time with Pause (RTwP)

• Turn Base Combat (TBC)

• Active Time Battle (ATB)

• Something else. Explain...

Results are only viewable after voting.

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
Nope you cannot. Think attack by a mob. According to the 5e rules you got the option to use your reaction to cast shield e.g. as a wizard. So tell me pray, how should this work out? Hit a button on your keyboard as fast as you can to get your reaction in? With 4 PCs or so?

Typically systems will pause to give the player an opportunity to react, or defer. And you're making a real assumption about the game needing to adjudicate a mob attack.

Horwath

Legend
Nope you cannot. Think attack by a mob. According to the 5e rules you got the option to use your reaction to cast shield e.g. as a wizard. So tell me pray, how should this work out? Hit a button on your keyboard as fast as you can to get your reaction in? With 4 PCs or so?

auto-pause feature as an option when one of your reactions is available. simple.

Ristamar

Adventurer
I'm totally fine with turn-based combat. Most of my combat time was paused in the old Infinity Engine games. I typically only let the battle roll out in real time when I was steam rolling an encounter due to an obvious mismatch in power (which wasn't all that often).

Nebulous

Legend
Just how will they incorporate reactions on another NPC turn? I'm thinking the Shield spell specifically but there are other examples.

Horwath

Legend
One more problem would be agonizingly slow combat.

It will depent how long a "turn" will be in real time. If all animations for a turn lasts 6 seconds + whatever time you need to issue orders. Lets say that you are really fast and you only need 1 second per character;
6 man party(or whatever) that is 42seconds per round, plus whatever time is needed for AI to play their characters.
what if you fight against 10 opponents and there is no "cheating" from AI with simultaneous turns of faster "combat animation"? 102 seconds per round? 3 round average encounter = 5 minutes?

I have no preferred combat method for the game. As long as it has interesting NPCs, a good storyline in the Forgotten Realms, and relative adherence to D&D rules, it's a Baldur's Gate game. The combat method is immaterial.

slobster

Hero
I voted for turn-based, because I think it's the most strategically rich options. As others have noted, XCOM and Fire Emblem are great examples of very popular strategy games using turn-based mechanics, and I've always been a big fan. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm surprised that a AAA title in 2020 has the cajones to go with turn based combat (I guess the reaction in some quarters shows how ballsy a call that is), but I couldn't be more delighted.

That said, I'd hardly be up in arms if they went pausable real time a la Dragon Age, full ARPG, or any other system you could name. I've played great games using a ton of different systems, and you can enjoy each one for what it does well or uniquely compared to others. I think BG3 could have been made using any of the above, and would still have had a chance at being a great game depending on the strength of execution plus all the other factors like story, character, faithfullness to FR lore, etc.

I'm very excited for this turn based BG3!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases