What book you think is a must have? -- ANY for D&D

Ran

First Post
Ok I want to buy a book for D&D and don't really know all the publishers around, I am looking for a list of your must have books and it can have any book aside from the core rulebooks (for 3.0), including the 3.5 books.

I think it would be a very good idea to speak a little about the must have top one just to help people decide which one is more adequate to their desire.

Publishers are welcome to speak about their product, as long as this doesn't become a big advertising thread (of course no one wants to read about every product of a company, but a sample of the ones they see as their best would be well). For those who have written books I can say that your thoughts on your own book are welcome too, given that you top rate it...

Come and say, I will start with these:

1. Midnight Campaign Sourcebook.
2. Traps & Treachery.

Both books are from Fantasy Flight, one company that is fairly good and very careful on their products.

Midnight is a dark setting that is amazingly well made and low magic, it is said to be the idea brought up from "How would Middle Earth be if Sauron won the war?". it is a good place to get ideas and also to see what a good low magic world would be like.

Keep going!!

Magic Slim

First Post
What are looking for exactly? More rules on a certain type of classes? A campaign setting? A bigger equipment list? Campaign "fluff"?

Slim

Since you weren't specific about what kind of book you are looking for, here's a few categories and my picks for them:

Campaign Setting: Midnight. Although I haven't seen Diamond Throne and Iron Kingdoms yet, they are on my must-buy list...

Monster Book: Monsternomicon. Initially I was going to wait until I saw IKCG before I bought this, but after paging through it I realized it was not as campaign-specific as I had thought. The layout, the art, the writing: this is the way a monster book should be.

Toolkit/Rule Add-ons: Manual of the Planes. Although much of the book is taken up by the ol' familiar Great Wheel cosmology, there are so many neat ideas for creating and implementing your own cosmology that I find it an invaluable resource. If you are going to have gods and/or dimensional travel in your game this is simply a must-have.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Relics and Rituals. It's a nice little gem. R&R2 is also nice.

Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards and Sorcerers, has some nice optional stuff you can use.

But if you want my advice on which book you should get, get Midnight. :)

Olive

Explorer
Western Europe: a magical medieval society

Best world building book I have ever seen...

I think BotR is overrated myself.

Nightfall

Not sure I'd agree on that assessment on BotR, Olive. While I don't use it myself, I found it VERY well written, and had some interesting concepts. The Holy Warrior while not the greatest example, certainly the most common. Btw Olive if you could I'd love a copy of the book. ;)

Nightfall

Sanackranib said:
If you plan to play a rogue then IMO Traps and Trechery is the best thats out there

But that kind of begs the question my scribe. Is he/she playing or running? It would make a difference.

Remove ads