• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What character generation method does your group use?

What character generation method does your group use?

• Standard method (4d6k3)

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Optional method (27pts)

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Homebrew (everything else)

Votes: 18 27.7%

ccs

41st lv DM
I just don’t understand why, if you want to roll ability scores, you would want to reduce that random element. If the goal is to produce more balanced results, why not just use point buy? If the goal is to increase the chances of getting higher stats and producing more heroic characters, why not just use point buy with more points? If you want random stats, what is the value of intentionally limiting the variation?

I doubt if you asked anyone I play with they'd ever say balance was a factor. In fact they'd probably look at you oddly. Some would even say something insulting like "If you want balance, go play 4e.".
Of the umpteen different methods presented in in 1e, 4d6-1 was just the one that seemed to please most of the people at the time. We liked it better than the straight 3d6 we cut our teeth on in Basic/Expert, it was still pretty random, & it took less time and fiddling than a lot of the other methods. And it allowed us enough of a chance to roll up the stats needed to have things like Paladins, Rangers, Caveliers, etc in our games without cheating.
And over the years, as the groups expanded, shrunk, shifted, etc? It just got carried over as pretty much our default year after year. Eventually the game caught up to our default....

As for PB? We don't use it because:
1) Our core group doesn't enjoy fiddling about that much to generate the stats.
We've allowed for PB & Array mostly for new/other players who join us. We can accommodate them. What we won't do is change how we generate our stats.
Thing is? The people who've joined us? They see us not being fussed by high/low #s, weird variances in character stats, etc shrug & roll 4d6.
2) Standard PB does not allow the full 3-18 range. And to make it do so requires more fiddling than we care to invest in.

The Old Crow

Explorer
I use standard array, but last game (a one off) I used a homebrew array of all odd stats so standard humans don't suck so bad, but no one picked standard human. I allowed feats so there were two variant humans, and the all odd stats are also helpful to them. Standard array seems designed to benefit +2, +1 races the most. I will probably stick with the all odd array from here on out.

S

Sunseeker

I just don’t understand why, if you want to roll ability scores, you would want to reduce that random element.

To get to the heart of your post: because rolling dice is fun. And people try to balance fun and fairness.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I just don’t understand why, if you want to roll ability scores, you would want to reduce that random element. If the goal is to produce more balanced results, why not just use point buy? If the goal is to increase the chances of getting higher stats and producing more heroic characters, why not just use point buy with more points? If you want random stats, what is the value of intentionally limiting the variation?

There are various possible reasons. Sometimes it's a compromise between what the various players and the DM want. Sometimes it's because they want to be legendary from level 1. Sometimes it's because they want the thrill of gambling, but not the agony of "losing" on the gamble. Some people just aren't very good at "character builds" and they think rolling for stats gives them a chance to shine even compared to those who are (unless the guy who is good at character builds also ends up with the best stats. Then you suicide your character and try again...)

Generally the more generous rolling methods allow for:

- a chance at multiple high scores
- very low chance of multiple low scores (but one really low score in a stat you don't use is OK for RP purposes).
- a chance to be "better" than everyone else in the party. And if you don't get it this time, you might get it next time.
- a chance that someone else gets to be the underdog or comedy relief.
- and if all that fails...let your character die and try again. :p

And sometimes people roll because this is a game and they want to see what the dice give them and work with that.

Yardiff

Adventurer
I don’t understand the appeal of a lot of homebrew rolling methods. Somehow we’ve gone from 3d6, to 4d6 drop lowest, to some people even doing2d6 + 6. We’ve gone from roll one score for each ability in order, to roll in order but swap two scores once, to roll 6 scores and assign them to what ever abilities you like, to some people even rolling 7 scores, dropping the lowest, and assigning the remaining 6 to what ever abilities you like. And then there are other bet-hedging house rules like dropping any score lower than 7, or raising the highest stat to 15 if you don’t have any natural 15s it better, or discarding any set of stats with a total below a certain threshold. All these tweaks to reduce the variance seem to me to defeat the point of rolling stats in the first place.

I believe the various methods people have come up with, outside the methods from the DMG itself, is because Gary had these things to say in the 1e DMG and 1e PHB.

1e DMG pg 11 "As AD&D is an ongoing game of fantasy adventuring, it is important to allow participants to generate a viable character of the race and profession which he or she desires. While it is possible to generate some fairly playable characters by rolling 3d6, there is often an extended period of attempts at finding a suitable one due to quirks of the dice. Furthermore, these rather marginal characters tend to have short life expectancy - which tends to discourage new players, as does having to make do with some character of a race and/or class which he or she really can't or won't identify with. Character generation, then, is a serious matter, and it is recommended that the following systems be used."

1e PHB pg 9 "Furthermore, it is usually essential to the character's survival to be exceptional (with a rating of 15 or above) in no fewer than two ability characteristics."

Remove ads