• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What character(s) do you want to play?

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dwarven avenger/fighter Pit Fighter. Oh, the damage add is beautiful...

Might look at MC Paladin instead for Son of Mercy PP. It gives you a +Wis damage feature at level 11 vs 16, though it only applies vs one target. Of course, Avengers focus on one target anyway...

He's a spammer or link-farmer. The point of the post is the sig.

Figured as much, so I purposely didn't click on it...

DracoSuave

First Post
(1) Half-Elf Infernal Warlock. MC to Fighter, but with the Battlemind's Whirling Defense power for an at-will, CON-based mark. Avernian Knight PP.

(2) After thinking they were teh lame, I'd love to try a Dwarf Battlemind. It seems to be the only non-borked Psionic class, as long as you errata Blurred Step. :) And Brutal Barrage + Hammer Rhythym + Dwarven Weapon Training + Pit Fighter PP = one hell of an at-will.

-O

Blurred Step is awesome.

You can potentially step in front of the square they're about to move into, just to be a jerk, invalidating their movement.

Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Obryn

Hero
You can potentially step in front of the square they're about to move into, just to be a jerk, invalidating their movement
If they shift from one square adjacent to you into another square adjacent to you. (In which case they're probably just trying to set up a flank, because they sure as heck aren't trying to get away from your OAs or Mind Spike.)
Or, If you have a feat like Mark of Passage, to make it more like an exploit than a proper use of the class feature.
And even given all of the above, after you block that shift, they could still just charge away from you.

For general purposes, it's fairly useless as-written, unless you think WotC was anticipating a dragonmark feat as a good feat tax to make the ability minimally useful. Right now, the enemy can shift away and charge, and the Battlemind is barely sticky at all.

If it's a free action, timed as a reaction, it opens up the following:
(1) You can follow shifting enemies and stay adjacent - even if they move on a diagonal away from you! Or even if they have allies (or difficult terrain) to either side!
(2) If they still try to move away, you get to make one of those cool OA's granted by your Daily stance because your OA hasn't been eaten already by Blurred Step!
(3) Now, Blurred Step properly sets you up for a follow-up Mind Spike if they attack someone after you follow them, no matter what vagaries of diagonals they shift on.

...all of which seem like proper things for a Defender class feature to do.

IMO, it's overly apologetic to WotC to believe that Blurred Step is supposed to work as it's written to work. It'll be far from the first time they've made a mistake like this. I predict you'll see it in the May errata.

-O

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
None of these are really detailed, but I have a wish list of pcs I would like to play that includes:

-A human warlord
-An avenger (race tbd)
-A monk (race tbd)
-A bard
-An elf ranger

I haven't really played any 4e to speak of, just dmed it.

DracoSuave

First Post
For general purposes, it's fairly useless as-written, unless you think WotC was anticipating a dragonmark feat as a good feat tax to make the ability minimally useful. Right now, the enemy can shift away and charge, and the Battlemind is barely sticky at all.

If it's a free action, timed as a reaction, it opens up the following:
(1) You can follow shifting enemies and stay adjacent - even if they move on a diagonal away from you! Or even if they have allies (or difficult terrain) to either side!
(2) If they still try to move away, you get to make one of those cool OA's granted by your Daily stance because your OA hasn't been eaten already by Blurred Step!
(3) Now, Blurred Step properly sets you up for a follow-up Mind Spike if they attack someone after you follow them, no matter what vagaries of diagonals they shift on.

...all of which seem like proper things for a Defender class feature to do.

IMO, it's overly apologetic to WotC to believe that Blurred Step is supposed to work as it's written to work. It'll be far from the first time they've made a mistake like this. I predict you'll see it in the May errata.

-O

Warden's can't really stop that tactic very well either. At best, they can pull a guy -after- he's charged and done his work. I wouldn't call Wardens non-sticky.

The party just needs to work with the battlemind in order to make his abilities work. I've heard of this 'The enemy shifts and charges the party' but most of the time, what is that guy doing away from the defender? And the battlemind, unlike the fighter (even with Combat Agility), paladin, swordmage, OR warden, can shift in response to -all- the foes he has marked, which is an advantage you've not noted.

Without a level of assistance from the party, a defender can expect to hold down one enemy, which in normal encounters, means everyone has an enemy to themselves... in other words, the defender isn't doing his job. The party works with the defender, or they get smacked.

Battlemind can be worked with, but requires tactics and positioning. But it's not difficult to give the enemy zero options. Stay within two squares of a battlemind, and that tactic you describe isn't gonna work so well.

Herschel

Adventurer
A Cindersoul (or Firesoul) Genasi longknife-chucking seeker multi-classed to wizard to powerswap in Fire Shield. Here's the mental picture: Lightly-armored Genasi wading in to the middle of a horde blazing like the sun (or pure hellfire) sending knives flying in all directions up-close and personal leaving many foes too hesitant to react and those that do swing slowly watch their damage melt away in an intense blast of heat that also burns them to their very soul.

Yeah, I lik ethat.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My current frontrunner for playing my first 4Ed PC would be...

Hellbox- just Box to his compatriots- a Warforged who was constructed to be a living gate to Hell...but he rebelled, and is trying to make the world a better place.

Mechanically, he's a Battlmind/Infernal Pact Warlock.

The inspiration for the PC was one of my 3.5 Mage-Brute builds- an amalgam of the Hellboy comic book and the Hellraiser stories & movies- ported over into 4Ed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads