• Fighter

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other class

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Other multiclass

Votes: 5 5.2%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But then ... which official D&D angel? Which angel trait is doing what event in the Tolkein stories? To specify the D&D mechanics in play reduces the number of possibilities.
Why do you need an official D&D angel that matches? Just pick one and if it doesn't have the requisite ability, give it that ability. D&D and 5e in particular is all about tweaking things to what you need. I'd go with a Deva and modify from there.

Yaarel

He Mage
Why do you need an official D&D angel that matches? Just pick one and if it doesn't have the requisite ability, give it that ability. D&D and 5e in particular is all about tweaking things to what you need. I'd go with a Deva and modify from there.

So, you like the D&D deva to represent the race of Gandalf. Great. Why deva? What did Gandalf do that looks like what a deva does?

As an aside. This thread asks what "class" Gandalf is. Since only player characters have a class, we seek to describe a player character build that coheres best with the Tolkien narratives. So class, race, proficiencies, feats, are important considerations for sorting thru how Gandalf does what he does.

Laurefindel

Legend
Paladin is a better match.

Sure, but easier said than done. One would need to compare which specific 5e feature with what the Tolkien narrative describes, considering both the flavor and the action. Some D&D features feel closer than others.

Presumably his race can do some magical effect, but then which official race? Which race trait? Which event in the Tolkien story.

As is, the Paladin class explains most or all of the texts about Gandalf.

Some posters prefer Gandalf be an NPC with a monster statblock. Of course, if a DM is introducing Gandalf or a Gandalf-esque into an adventure, then the NPC is the way to do it.

But, Gandalf is a compelling character concept that is an interesting choice for a player character. I feel it is worthwhile to explore the most exact official
mechanics possible to build a Gandalf player character. Then a player can use this information to build ones own character and modify it according to taste.

It seems to me, the staff of Gandalf is his Paladin holy symbol.

He needs his holy symbol.

But his holy symbol might also be a magic item with magical benefits, such as to enhance his spellcasting or add spells of its own, or likely grant him an AC bonus.

The lack of a spellbook, the lack of academic flavor, the emphatic Charisma, the centrality of alignment, makes a D&D Wizard feel inappropriate. I find a divine Sorcerer a better match than a Wizard. And a Paladin best of all.

Meanwhile, his divine spells are significantly high level, like Healing and Restoration, and he appears to Turn Undead that are high level. By contrast, those spells resembling wizardry like blowing smoke rings are at the low level of a cantrip or minor spells, and are easier to explain as a peripheral magic item, a feat granting cantrip and spell, or a brief multiclass dip. The Paladin features feel central.

Gandalf is highly effective in melee combat.

If Gandalf chose to wear heavy armor, few would doubt he is a Paladin. But he seems to dislike armor that would impede his high Dexterity. No doubt he boosts his AC magically, as a Paladin can, and maybe his magic holy symbol can too.

As above. Nothing in D&D forces a high Dex Paladin to wear armor. He seems to prefer Dex plus Paladin buffs and possibly magic item buffs instead.

The 5e Paladin (also Bard) is a remarkably versatile class that can support many character concepts.

Regarding Gandalf, he is a normal Devotion Paladin. Heh, to get distracted by his lack of armor is ... superficial.
I think you took my last comment a bit too seriously;)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I just noticed this was a general D&D thread and not just 5e.

I need to think about it more. I'm definitely happier thinking about him statted up pre-3. I'm just not sure which class.

Yaarel

He Mage
oh man 2e gandalf.... I have to think
One of the earlier posts cites a IIRC Dragon article from AD&D, it assesses Gandalf as a low tier Magic-User with upto slot 3 spells.

But it involves much blurriness between spells that only vaguely resemble the story. It also ignores his melee combat prowess.

5e has a better suite of mechanics to choose from to represent Gandalf more precisely.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, you like the D&D deva to represent the race of Gandalf. Great. Why deva? What did Gandalf do that looks like what a deva does?
He was an angel who could take on whatever form he wants. The Deva is an angel that can take on different forms. It's also the third level of angel. The Valar would be Solar level. The high Maia like Melian, Osse and Arien would be Planetar level. The Istari like Gandalf were weaker, so Deva works.

I don't need the other abilities to match up. Gandalf could almost certainly do things he never used in the books, so I don't need to remove any abilities. All I need to do is add what I need, and giving a Deva 7th or 8th level Sorcerer abilities does that. I could even use Divine Soul sorcerer if I want to perpetuate the divine feel.
As an aside. This thread asks what "class" Gandalf is. Since only player characters have a class, we seek to describe a player character build that coheres best with the Tolkien narratives. So class, race, proficiencies, feats, are important considerations for sorting thru how Gandalf does what he does.
This is not true. NPCs also have class levels if the DM wants. It's in the DMG. Or we can just give him a "class" since he is an NPC creature(angel) and give him whatever class abilities we want. It's not like the Mage or Druid NPCs aren't also those classes, even though they are not statted up exactly as a PC would be.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
One of the earlier posts cites a IIRC Dragon article from AD&D, it assesses Gandalf as a low tier Magic-User with upto slot 3 spells.
Which is blatantly wrong since in the books he hurled multiple lightning bolts and multiple fireballs at different times. He would have to be at a minimum 7th level, probably 8th or higher.

In the LotR those fireballs he hurled that burned the top of the hill were described as a series, which means more than 2.

Remove ads