• Wizard/Fighter multiclass

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Fighter

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Other class

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Other multiclass

Votes: 5 5.2%

As this is a D&D General question, I'm going to forego 5e.

Gandalf is a Maia, but he also has a number of restrictions placed on his action as one of the Istari - he is "clothed in flesh;" furthermore, unlike - say - an unfettered Maia, he can't just reassume his "angelic" form on a whim. He really is stuck in the body of an old man, and subject - to some extent - to physical processes such as aging, hunger, death etc.

I think the Ainur can be modeled reasonably well using the rules for divine beings in 3e's Deities and Demigods with a number of additional restrictions imposed - which is to say, you don't need to invent any new rules for creatures with divine rank, but you do need to excise a number of innate abilities which deities would ordinarily automatically possess, and dumb down some more egregious Salient Divine Abilities.

So I'd start Gandalf as a 20HD Native Outsider with 11 Divine Ranks (he needs a modified Rejuvenation SDA as a Maia), 5 Cleric levels (for searing light against the Nazgul), and 5 Wizard levels (for lightning bolt). I'd then trim back any abilities which weren't consistent with Tolkien's view of the Ainur, and then impose additional restrictions based on the fact that he is an Istar. Salient Divine Abilities would include Arcane Mastery and Spontaneous Wizard Spells, allowing him to forego the use of a spellbook.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
Melian wasn't a wizard. She was just a Maia that was a heck of a lot more powerful than any of the Istari. People are saying that Gandalf would be a Solar. He wouldn't even be close. The Valar would be the Solars. Then the highest Maiar would be like the Planetars, and those would be like Melian, Arien(who carries the Sun), Eonwe(who beat a weakened Morgoth), Osse(who could affect entire oceans and raised Numenor), etc. The Istari like Gandalf would be some sort of Archon most likely, but with Sorcerer levels or in 5e sorcerer level equivalent abilities.

Exactly. Gandalf doesn't have class levels, he's a celestial who's a DMPC. Don't give me that 5th level MU crap. :p

And no he's not a solar. That's roughly the levels the Valar themselves are on. Gandalf would be more equivalent to a deva in terms of rough power levels, and indeed the role the Istari were supposed to play was similar to the purpose of devas or other celestials who act in secret on the Material Plane.

Remove ads