• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Computer Programs Do You Use for D&D?

caudor

Adventurer
For prep, I still use etools. I also use TokenTool.

For play, I use MapTool, DiceTool and InitTool.

The MapTool has made a huge difference in the speed and ease of play for my group. Best free software i've ever found for use with D&D.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Edheldur said:
PCGen, Microsoft Word, several Excel spreadsheets, and php scripts are what I use.

I'm similar. Word is heaviest use, PCGen for simple NPCs (that don't need non-core books or just need for something like a feat I can write in). MediaWiki for open campaign notes. Some Excel.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Firefox [+ Add Ons]
WinHTTrack
Acrobat
Inspiration Pad Pro
Word
Textpad
InDesign
The Gimp
Irfan View
Excel
Winamp

sometimes: OpenOffice

RFisher

Explorer
  • Amaya
  • OpenOffice/NeoOffice
  • Google notebook
  • Google docs

I wrote a program for generating frieght shipments for classic Traveller. I don't remember if it was perl, ruby, or scheme.

I've got a prototype for a Javascript character generator for a friend's homebrew system.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Photoshop - maps, handouts, etc.
E-Tools - PC/NPC creation
MS Word - session prep
MS Excel - initiative tracker
IE Explorer - accessing SRD, etc.

rvalle

First Post
Fantasy Grounds II to run WLD games every Thursday night.
Skype to talk during the game.

Gimp to make tokens or edit maps and images.
Web browser to access d20srd.org. Man I love that webpage.
Email for talk between games.

I have DMGenie but don't use it as much as I used to since I lost my 2nd monitor.
I have NPC Designer but don't use it since I'm running the WLD.

SolitonMan

Explorer
Word and Excel mostly.

I've created a simple Word template for the current format for monsters as used in Dungeon and MM 4. I tend to use it to create individual pages for the opponents my party will face. Once saved as a template I create a new page for a creature from the File -> New... option in Word. I've found that taking the time to type out the stats for the baddies helps a lot in knowing their abilities, planning tactics, and also makes it wicked easy to keep track of them during combat, since I don't have to flip through books or magazines.

Excel I use to create an area-by-area list of creatures, their hit points, and any notable special abilities such as fast healing or damage reduction. I make one entry for each creature, and then print this out and use it to track hit points in combat.

I know none of this is earth-shatteringly amazing, but what I have found amazing is how much more organized I am now running my games with these simple changes. I'll try to attach my Word template for anyone interested. I can only attach it as a document, so if you download it, open it in Word and then use File->Save As... to save it as a template (.dot).

Attachments

• monster_template.doc
    34 KB · Views: 76

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads