• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Computer Programs Do You Use for D&D?

I want to know what programs are out there that people use to help them with their D&D game. It might be something that you use to keep track of various things during the game. It might be a program you use to make maps, create characters, organise your game notes or prep for the next session. I'm interested in any and all of them.

It doesn't even have to be a D&D only program (although I am interested in those in particular).

Links would be appreciated if you have them.

Thanks,

Olaf the Stout

Brentos

First Post

For my PBEM online game, I use Monkey-Tools to roll-up my monsters, then I use a Google-Group for all discussion interaction, and a dice-website for secured rolls (when not in combat), and Google Docs:spreadsheets to make my maps for the players to see and use, especially for combat. I make all the cells into squares, then paint on or type in stuff. I use a second tab for dice rolling and keeping track of stats and such. The rand command is a big help, especially now that you can use named ranges. The Google docs also have a chat window for when everyone is online together. Very cool!

catsclaw227

First Post
I use DM Genie for in-game and campaign planning. I can't believe I ever played without it. It has a lot of custom scription options, but it is playable out-of-the-box. There is a lot of fan support too.

It handles all the modifier stacking issues, combat, initiative, etc. Amazing program, really.

I have dabbled with Dundjinni, some CC3 (way steep learning curve).

What are some of the good char gen programs out there with strong in-game support? PCgen is supposed to be good, but all the WOTC packs are no longer available. How is RPG Explorer?

Oh... and for NPCs, NPC Designer is 110% cool.

Jeysie

First Post
My group plays on a roleplaying-centered IRC network where there's a built-in dice roller, as well as some other quirky game-related services.

I installed my own slightly customized version of RPG Profiler on my personal webspace, which some of us use for character sheets, while others use home-brewed Excel sheets.

Gametable has gotten use in the past, though Java-related issues have forced us to find other ways of managing combat.

And HeroMachine gets a fair bit of use for character portraits.

Peace & Luv, Liz

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Jamis Buck's NPC generator and PCGen for NPCs and advanced monsters, Jamis Buck's treasure generator (though moving away from that now that I have MIC), and I think I may start using SpellGen and/or Autorealm. I may also someday get around to putting the MIC treasure generation tables (expanded to include other sources) into TableSmith for treasure generation. Oh, and I use Word for notes and Excel for encounter tables, which I port in from the World of Sulerin encounter maker. I guess I'm a little haphazard. :heh:

Unfortunately, I like doing the hard yards. I don't use any computer stuff at the table, all of this is prep and print.

Word - For planning and putting my thoughts down on cyber-paper
Excel - Information slips to handout during a game, for tracking character abilities, increasing HD of monsters (and other calculations), character wealth and xp and a myriad of other things I like to keep a pulse on.
Illustrator - For pulling in monster/npc illustrations, printing them out and displaying in a folder for game display when appropriate. For all my monster stats that I like to keep at close hand. A complete collection of spell cards and magical item cards. And the 16 page character booklets that I hand out to all my players.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

KB9JMQ

First Post
Away from the table I use Excel to run all kinds of random generators. I also live and die by Heroforge which runs on Excel (though I wish it ran on Open Office). I use Word, NoteTab and Foxit for note-taking and reading pdfs. I do use E-tools and Dunjinni when I have lots of time.

At the table the only computer thing used is D20srd.org and I only just started doing that.
If Heroforge worked on OO I would use it at the table. My downstairs computer runs Ubuntu ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads