D&D (2024) What could OneD&D to bring YOU back to D&D? (+)

Reduce reliance on magic in all classes (a magic subclass is fine)
This right here.

One of my biggest complaints is martial types got put back in the box after being amazing in 4e.

I want rangers that are essentially non magical deepwoods snipers (because robin hood complete with patriot arrow).

I want my warlord giving bonuses and telling people what to do because they are that awesome.

I want to be able to emulate Hercules and/or Bret Hart and wrestle giants to their knees, size limitations be damned.

and I want to play Jackie Chan not wanting any trouble, but juggling random objects and/or step ladders in the way to cheeze off high level spellcasters.

dnd needs to go from a spells based exception game to a condition based exception so it opens opens up options, feels be damned.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This right here.

One of my biggest complaints is martial types got put back in the box after being amazing in 4e.

I want rangers that are essentially non magical deepwoods snipers (because robin hood complete with patriot arrow).

I want my warlord giving bonuses and telling people what to do because they are that awesome.

I want to be able to emulate Hercules and/or Bret Hart and wrestle giants to their knees, size limitations be damned.

and I want to play Jackie Chan not wanting any trouble, but juggling random objects and/or step ladders in the way to cheeze off high level spellcasters.

dnd needs to go from a spells based exception game to a condition based exception so it opens opens up options, feels be damned.
I sadly don't see any chance of WotC doing any of those things, but Level Up handles a lot of them quite well IMO.

Incenjucar

Legend
For the spells vs. abilities thing, I'd actually really love it if arcane spells often were hacks for wizards to use and enhance the supernatural abilities of creatures. For example, dragonborn breath is its own thing, but a wizard spell can be a spell that lets you create a dragonborn breath attack even if you're an elf, and then supercharges it as appropriate for the level.

I just don’t see it (my running WotC D&D) as a possibility at this point. I want my D&D to be one of three things:

* 4e

* Torchbearer

* Dungeon World

5e’s core design elements and play paradigm aren’t remotely compatible with any of those three games (each of which are very different games from one another while simultaneously having a few key pieces of kindred design architecture that informs one type of play ethos that they share on their Venn Diagram). WotC made key decisions during mid/late Next that more or less cemented me as firmly outside of their target audience. Which is fine. I’m happy enough to be in or out of their target audience and TTRPGing is as healthy as ever.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would like to see settings that are fleshed out to include the entire setting and not a small chunk of it. Basically setting books similar in quality to the ones 3e put out.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Cut HP and damage. Lose Revivify and multiple saves against one spell/etc. Toss Death saves. Ease back on so much healing magic. Sleep doesn’t fix 90% of issues.

Needs to lose the “easy mode” label that some joking use

And real sourcebooks not an adventure with 2 pages of general lore.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases