D&D General What did D&D teach you?

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris
I’m reading Turn of Fortune’s Wheel. There is a table of various contests the PCs can compete in while in the gate town. One contest was Flyting. When I saw that, I thought it was a typo, but I looked it up, and nope- not a typo! I learned a new word!

What words have you learned from D&D? Or any RPG, really?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I started with B/X and quickly moved to AD&D. Old High Gygaxian is great for building an archaic vocabulary. So D&D taught me a lot of outdated and mostly useless words.

RPGs also taught me to do basic math quickly. Additive dice pool systems anyone? Grouping dice by tens and adding things up looks like magic to some of the other players at the table who never played WEG Star Wars.

RPGs also taught me an appreciation for percentages and chance. Most other people think of something like a 90% chance as basically a sure thing. I know that’s a damned dirty lie.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I started with B/X and quickly moved to AD&D. Old High Gygaxian is great for building an archaic vocabulary. So D&D taught me a lot of outdated and mostly useless words.

RPGs also taught me to do basic math quickly. Additive dice pool systems anyone? Grouping dice by tens and adding things up looks like magic to some of the other players at the table who never played WEG Star Wars.

RPGs also taught me an appreciation for percentages and chance. Most other people think of something like a 90% chance as basically a sure thing. I know that’s a damned dirty lie.
High Gygaxian pushed me to learn crazy words as a kid…

I honestly think it was instrumental in getting me into a competitive field of study…

It sounds silly but I believe it is true. Only D&D was cool enough for me want to understand phylacteries , fecundity, weal vs. woe and diametrical opposition as a little kid!

Bless you Gygax!

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris

Boy that sounds familiar. The AD&D DMG is filled with words that aren’t really used anywhere. I learned e.g. and i.e. by finally looking them up after seeing them so often!

Remove ads