D&D General What did D&D teach you?

Yeah, I still remember this...
View attachment 333832
Seeing the 1e polearm list always reminds me of when a friend and I were hex editing Pool of Radiance circa 1989, and we did something wrong, causing something called a "flail flail fauchard fork" to appear in a character's inventory. It had a horrific THAC0 of like 50, but it did an impressive 1d10 + 35 damage or so. We could only assume that the fauchard fork had a flail on each tip of the fork, making it incredibly unwieldy, but, man, when you did hit, it was doing all sorts of damage!

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris
Seeing the 1e polearm list always reminds me of when a friend and I were hex editing Pool of Radiance circa 1989, and we did something wrong, causing something called a "flail flail fauchard fork" to appear in a character's inventory. It had a horrific THAC0 of like 50, but it did an impressive 1d10 + 35 damage or so. We could only assume that the fauchard fork had a flail on each tip of the fork, making it incredibly unwieldy, but, man, when you did hit, it was doing all sorts of damage!
I never tried hex editing save files, but lots of the first programs I ever wrote drew random lines in random directions on the screen and the colors were limited to earth and water colors so I could generate cool maps. Very much inspired by D&D. This back in the late 80’s or early 90’s.

CharlesWallace

Facetious answer: it taught me to cast Magic Missile once then try to look unimportant for the rest of the day.

Serious answer: it taught me that if I wanted to have fun I would have to play something else.
Looking back now, I can’t recall how I played. I know I always had a 1st level magic user and had the same issue. But I was having so much fun. I wonder if it was because it was all new to me and it’s not like I had tons of other entertainment options?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
What a gazebo is. ;)
Better that than trying to make use of the Head of Vecna.

Seriously:

Probability and statistics (large numbers of dice illustrate the central limit theorem and law of large numbers well, and 1-2e NPC level demographics are a classic exponential distribution)
Names of polearms (the picture was in Unearthed Arcana, before that you just kinda had to guess what a glaive-guisarme was).
Various archaic and fell words, though this was likely not for my weal

CharlesWallace

Better that than trying to make use of the Head of Vecna.

Seriously:

Probability and statistics (large numbers of dice illustrate the central limit theorem and law of large numbers well, and 1-2e NPC level demographics are a classic exponential distribution)
Names of polearms (the picture was in Unearthed Arcana, before that you just kinda had to guess what a glaive-guisarme was).
Various archaic and fell words, though this was likely not for my weal
I had to look up the central limit theorem, and keep looking until I found a version I understood. Found one here: https://statisticsbyjim.com/basics/central-limit-theorem/
That is fascinating- I took statistics in college, but it’s been a long time and it never really stuck with me.

Also I loved the pole arm pic in UA.

Another one: I still think sometimes about how Gygax said he had the intelligence to know smoking was bad but lacked the wisdom to stop.

Remove ads