D&D General What did you think of the Stranger Things D&D game?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
As portrayed in ep 1 (all I’ve seen so far) of s4, “The Hellfire Club”.
I've only seen the first two episodes. I really loved that scene: it made both D&D and Basketball look like great fun, and hey, both are great fun. Sucks that one character is being put in the middle like he is, but that's some real drama.

I didn't think it was necessarily a realistic depiction, anymore than the basketball game was, but it was a good cinematic presentation, and added a lot to the DM character.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
1) Vecna is not missing his whole left arm!

2) was there critical hit rules in the 80's ? I always thought it was more of a houserule thing that became a rule in somewhat recent editions.

3) Can an half-elf be a 14th level rogue? If we forget that there was no rogues back then.

and....it was so great. I immediately posted the Vecna Lives! from Dmsguild on our facebook group when I finished the episode.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
1) Vecna is not missing his whole left arm!

2) was there critical hit rules in the 80's ? I always thought it was more of a houserule thing that became a rule in somewhat recent editions.

3) Can an half-elf be a 14th level rogue? If we forget that there was no rogues back then.

and....it was so great. I immediately posted the Vecna Lives! from Dmsguild on our facebook group when I finished the episode.
1e half-elves were unlimited in the thief class, so 14th level was okay.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So here's my issue...

A level 14 half-elf rogue gets a THAC0 equal to Elf, which is the same as a Fighter, Dwarf, or Halfling. So at level 14, her THAC0 was a -9-.

Which means a 19-20 is a hit because the best AC is -10, which pushes up the attack roll to a 19 or better.

Nog, Dustin's character, is a Dwarf and has THE EXACT SAME THAC0. (Unless he's either higher or lower level)

So why did the other gamers say "One in 20 chance" when it was, in fact, 1 in 10 or 2 in 20?!

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
So here's my issue...

A level 14 half-elf rogue gets a THAC0 equal to Elf, which is the same as a Fighter, Dwarf, or Halfling. So at level 14, her THAC0 was a -9-.

Which means a 19-20 is a hit because the best AC is -10, which pushes up the attack roll to a 19 or better.

Nog, Dustin's character, is a Dwarf and has THE EXACT SAME THAC0. (Unless he's either higher or lower level)

So why did the other gamers say "One in 20 chance" when it was, in fact, 1 in 10 or 2 in 20?!
Because they aren't very good at math?

I haven't watched the series, just making a guess based on the excerpt you described.

jgsugden

Legend
There were a number of flubs from a mechanics perspective in that scene indicating the writers were modern players, not players with experience in the 1980s.

• Level 1 Dwarf?
  • Rogue?
  • Kukri?
  • Vecna missing an arm?
  • A rogue rolling percentile dice in AD&D - in combat? Maybe...
  • But someone rolling a d4, a d8 and a d10 (percentile) all at once? And then a d4, d6 and d10 at the same time?
  • How do the players know how many hps Venca has? Or that a powerful spellcaster in AD&D is going to be hurt, much less killed, by a weapon attack?
  • Odds of success are 20 to 1 - and the PCs are rolling one attack roll each, with no need for a damage roll on the 'critical hit' (assuming they're using alternate rules for critical hits from Dragon or another source)? That makes no sense unless Dustin's attack was irrelevant.
  • Most of the terrain and figures were time appropriate - but not quite all. And some of those dice did not look like 80s dice.

I'd love for someone to really get it right.

Last edited:

Remove ads